Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Simple things

KeesW
Advocate
I've been using Archicad since version 5.1 and simple things still bug me. I want to show a washing machine under a bench - with hidden lines. I select this line type for the object, make it a new one in the renovation settings and plonk it place. Why the hell doesn't it show as instructed???? Simple things in Archicad don't work - and it is getting worse with each release.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
The dialogue you show is not for an object but is for a slab.
So assuming you are modelling your washing machine with a slab (which is fine), then the settings you have should be fine.
The 'Uncut' line type is what you will see in plan - it should be dashed.

However you mention you have it as a "New' renovation setting.
You may have a renovation filter active that is overriding all 'new' elements with solid lines.
Try changing the active renovation filter or check the settings to see if the 'New' elements line type is being overridden.

The other thing I notice is the slab is 3850mm above project zero.
If you have it set to show on 'Home storey and one storey up and/or down', then if you have placed the slab in one storey and you are viewing it on another there is an option in the Project Preferences that can change the line type.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
KeesW
Advocate
Barry
Thanks for your comments. I've checked everything you said and all seems OK. However, 'new' works are filtered to be solid lines (to contrast them against demolition lines which are dashed). I guess I didn't twig to that. That means that we cannot show objects, or slabs, or anything that might be hidden with dashed lines if we use the renovation filters. Isn't that a problem for documentation? Maybe I should just forget about using the renovation feature.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Barry Kelly
If you are not doing a 'renovation' plan then don't worry about the filters.
Set one up that doesn't override anything and use that.

If you are doing a renovation, then set up different filters that will display the elements according to the type of plan you want to show.
So you would have one filter that shows all 'new' elements with no overrides (so you will see your hidden lines) and you will see your new plan as you intend to.
You may want another filter that overrides all 'new' elements so you can highlight what is new, or even hide all new elements so you can show an existing plan or to be demolished plan.

Each filter being used is saved with the view in the view map.
So you can save multiple views of the plan - each using a different filter to show the type of plan you want.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11