Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Slightly skewed angle snap

Paul King
Advisor
I have inherited a project where orthogonal snap angles (if that is the correct term) during editing of walls etc always seem to be about a quarter of a degree off vertical and horizontal. This has resulted in the project being riddled with errors whereby nothing is quite straight, and dimensions are never giving nice round numbers.

Input constraints and guides are set conventionally - to 'Horizontal and Vertical', with Incremental Angle set to 45 degrees. so this does not seem to be the source of the problem.

How can I make it such that axis lock (when <shift> key is held) consistently locks to an actual orthogonal axis, rather than 0.025 degrees off axis, when dragging something horizontally or vertically? I am assuming the innacuracy is likely caused by archicad trying to be orthogogonal to already placed (i.e. crooked) elements)?

Manually typing in required orthogonal angle in tracker every time is a chore, and surely should not be necessary. Sadly, tracker doesnt seem to allow the user to constrain the drag operation to the nominated angle during input, while allowing distance to remain dynamic. If you are going to enter a drag angle override, you have to already know the distance at the same time - which is no fun at all.
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had this problem on a similar project to yours and it worked for me when I disabled the snap guides.
Have you tried that?

Under "View / Snap Guides", possibly also " / Snap points".

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had this problem on a similar project to yours and it worked for me when I disabled the snap guides.
Have you tried that?

Under "View / Snap Guides", possibly also " / Snap points".
You might find some help in this (long) thread: https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=53498&p=259011
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Paul King
Advisor
Thanks Guys! Switching off snap guides was the breakthrough for me
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Lingwisyer
Guru
I leave snap guides off unless I am needing to match tangents or odd angles. When left on, I find that it likes to snap to all the obscure angles and nodes nearby... I also find it useful you add the snap guides toggle to your toolbar and shortcuts.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
I have never had a problem with leaving the snap guides on.
I make sure my page orientation is 0° and that my rotated grid is also set to 0° - even though I have the horizontal grid active.
I have the tracker active and always try to watch that just to check that I am getting the angle I want.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Paul King
Advisor
I normally never have a problem either - but when inheriting the work of others who are 'challenged' when it comes to maintaining the disciplines of CAD or BIM, and where every other wall, slab edge etc already placed is crooked, snap guides seem to reinforce and exacerbate the problem when it comes to editing their work.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Paul wrote:
I normally never have a problem either - but when inheriting the work of others who are 'challenged' when it comes to maintaining the disciplines of CAD or BIM, and where every other wall, slab edge etc already placed is crooked, snap guides seem to reinforce and exacerbate the problem when it comes to editing their work.
This, very much.

Sadly some of the snap guides are useful, or I'd turn the tool off completely. Especially those circles are awful and if you don't zoom in on what you're drafting can easily lead to things being skewed.

I personally can't stand sloppy drafting. One randomly placed element will lead to many mistakes when you're done.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
KeesW
Advocate
I’ve had similar problems with the hor & vertical constraints suddenly being off by a fraction of a degree. Never found what caused it. However, the off angle is so slight that one doesn’t notice it straight away. Not a new bug - it’s happened in all of my previous versions. A reset or regeneration usually fixes it for subsequent drawing tasks but doesn’t fix the old ones.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
dominicus
Contributor
Hi,

I had the same problem and this thread solved it 🙂

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=50688

Hope this helps someone else,

Dominicus
db-architects ltd
Dominicus Björkstam
Finland

AC 24 latest build, localized FIN version
Hardware MacbookPro 15" i9 + 32GB Ram + Windows Desktop (win10)