BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Story Levels

Anonymous
Not applicable
Two questions about Story Levels as showing in Elevations and Sections.
I would like the Story levels be visual above all other layers. For example:
I sometimes create a fake terrain to make the Elevation or Section present the way I would like using a fill. But then the Story Levels get hidden behind that. Is there a way to change the setting so Levels appear about the layout as in Master layouts.

Second question as it pertains to Story Levels.. how do I set the fractions of the Story Levels. I don't necessarily want them to show with 64th inch fractions. I thought if I I changed my dimension units or working units for my view, this would also change it in Story levels, but not so. I could not find another way to change those settings. There has to be a trick.

I appreciate insight on these two questions.
6 REPLIES 6
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Jeanie wrote:
I would like the Story levels be visual above all other layers. For example:
I sometimes create a fake terrain to make the Elevation or Section present the way I would like using a fill. But then the Story Levels get hidden behind that. Is there a way to change the setting so Levels appear about the layout as in Master layouts.
There are two things to do: use Display Order on the Fill to Send Backward until it is behind the Story Levels. Also, the Built-in Story Marker has a background fill (Story Levels > 2D Representation > Fill Type, so set its Fill Background Pen to a white pen, so the text has a fill under it.
Jeanie wrote:
Second question as it pertains to Story Levels.. how do I set the fractions of the Story Levels. I don't necessarily want them to show with 64th inch fractions. I thought if I I changed my dimension units or working units for my view, this would also change it in Story levels, but not so. I could not find another way to change those settings. There has to be a trick.
Look at Preferences > Dimensions... > Level Dimensions (4th button from left) to set the Story Marker dimension units. Your Dimension preferences should be stored with a name (not Custom) and assigned to your Views.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you David. That was helpful and it worked. I miss having a paper manual to cruise through. Hope that cycles back around.

One more little issue solved! Thanks so much for your time too!
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Jeanie:

I doubt that the paper manual will be back, but there is the pdf version (Help > ArchiCAD XX Reference Guide) that could be printed. You can search the pdf file for specific terms.

Thanks for posting back and adding your signature.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
runxel
Legend
Jeanie wrote:
I miss having a paper manual to cruise through. Hope that cycles back around.
With Archicad 21 being the first full digital release (yep, no more box versions) there is little chance this will ever happen.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Barry Kelly
runxel wrote:
Jeanie wrote:
I miss having a paper manual to cruise through. Hope that cycles back around.
With Archicad 21 being the first full digital release (yep, no more box versions) there is little chance this will ever happen.
Especially not with a 3500 page manual.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
More on Story Level Settings

Looks like Story level Settings move all elements in that Story if the Story level is moved.

So in an example of a roof pitch changing to a steeper pitch, I now want to go back in and adjust the Story Level showing the revised Ridge Ht.... but now all my other elements change too! Not nice.. since my design is a timber frame it all gets moved around.

Does the Story level tool attach everything to it, Like Bubble Gum? or is there another way. I did not see another way.
Learn and get certified!