BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Text Editing

MitchDes
Contributor
First time post. I am trying to edit a large text box. When I dbl click to go to edit mode, the box enlarges which normally is fine, but this time it is filling the whole screen. Normally when you finish editing you just click back on the screen to close the editing window, but when the editing window is taking the whole screen there is no way of clicking out of the window. I can close it by hitting ESC but then I lose the edited changes. Any help appreciated.
Using ArchiCad Start 2020 On PC With Ryzen 5 5600 6 core, 16Gb Ram, 64bit Windows 11, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 32"; Lenovo Monitor; 1920 x 1080 Res
10 REPLIES 10
Barry Kelly
I have moved you post to "Working in Archicad" which is a more appropriate section of the forum.
Please look at the description as that will give you an idea of the best place to post.

All I can think of to help you is to zoom out a bit before you double click on the text to edit.
The edit box should adjust automatically - if the text is too small when you double click it the edit box will be bigger so you can se it properly, and if too big the edit box should get smaller.
I have never seen it fill the entire screen.

What is the screen size and resolution that you are using?
Also your operating system and Archicad version can often help.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
MitchDes
Contributor
Thanks Barry,
I agree that changing the zoom usually works, but not this time for some reason. It doesn't seem to matter how close or far, or where it is on the screen, as soon as you dbl click it fills the screen to the point where all of the model space area is covered. Is there a keyboard command or some other method you can use to close the editing box? The software is Archicad Start 2016 (it is up-to-date). The OS is windows 10 Pro, the monitor is a 24' HD running at max resolution.
Using ArchiCad Start 2020 On PC With Ryzen 5 5600 6 core, 16Gb Ram, 64bit Windows 11, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 32"; Lenovo Monitor; 1920 x 1080 Res
Barry Kelly
Seems to be because you have so much text.
I just tried and yep, it filled the whole screen.

Zooming out (quite a way) before selecting still helped me.
However I also discovered that CTRL+ENTER closes and keeps your changes.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
MitchDes
Contributor
Thanks heaps Barry It doesn't seem to matter what the zoom is, I still get the same result, but the Ctrl Enter certainly works!
zoli79
Booster
I sometimes have the same exact problem. Usually opening the text edit box from a different zoom helps, but I've seen some texts, where that doesn't work. (Not that the zooming nonsense before entering text edit would be a normal solution to the issue...)
What's the most frustrating is that it covers out the text editing palette.
I'm guessing it's a bug, and hopefully they got it fixed in 21 (I'm still in 20)
macOS 16, ArchiCAD 27 (USA)
first ArchiCAD: 6.5
toman311
Enthusiast
I've been having this problem too.

If a start a new text box it is fine, but I'm copying and pasting info from an old text box and into a new one. Now the new one is filling the entire screen. Somehow that problem got copied over.
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB

Version 26 and this is still a problem. I agree, what is most frustrating is that it covers the text editing palette, so that means not even being able to underline, bold, or change font (+color). 

AC27 (Apple Silicon)

macOS Sonoma 14.1.2.

MBP M3 Max (16-inch 2023)

I've seen this problem myself.  When I did some investigating, It seems to happen when I try to put a space in-between some text and only give that blank line a 1pt text height or less.  Then the window blows up and fills the screen.  If I take that same line and make it large than 1pt it reacts like we are expecting it to.

So I would ask, are you placing a blank line and then resizing that line to control your spacing between text?

Maybe this information might lead you to an overall solution to the problem.

Project Manager
Rutledge Maul Architects, PS Inc., Seattle, WA
Windows 11 Pro, HP Desktop, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz, 32.0 GB RAM, 64-bit operating system.
Archicad 26 - Graphisoft Forward

Do remember that you can use the Crtl + i / b / u shortcuts for the various standard font styles.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Learn and get certified!