BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Text and formatting

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all,

Does the text editor allows for "tabs" or tables.

Similar to the "index" table or other "schedule" found in the program.

I have building information sheets and other tables I'd like to create for construction documents and I don't want to be making the tables in CAD then inserting text one by one.

Thanks.

Version 17 and Mac OSX latest builds.
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Make your tables in MAC equivalent of word or excel. Then print to PDF file, place this PDF into worksheet or layout.
Kamelite
Enthusiast
"MarkMoscrip" wrote:
Make your tables in MAC equivalent of word or excel. Then print to PDF file, place this PDF into worksheet or layout.

Anyone knows how AC handles PDF files when used as described over? As an image-version of the file, or as an actual PDF file? If it handles it as a pdf file, is it possible to implement formes that can be filled out inside AC?

.thag
Windows 10, Archicad 27
Eduardo Rolon
AC will read the PDF as-is (vector or image) it will not convert it although if vector you cannot be able to snap to lines within the PDF. After placing the file it will be treated as a drawing so if the file changes it will update the changes.

You will not be able to to edit PDFs within AC you will have to do that in your preferred PDF editor.

---
My workflow is to have the main PDFs in a separate folder for editing and whatnot and I save a copy after editing to a different folder from where I link the PDF file to AC. This way I can control how and when the PDF is updated in the construction drawing set.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies,

Does this mean that other documents can be linked or is it strictly pdf?

Such a big software package and I'm having to deal with simple issues...
Eduardo Rolon
See attached list.

It is a big software package and I think that linking to multiple file types is not a simple issue.

----
BTW the idea to use PDF as the final link is because if someone changes the original by mistake then the "linked pdf" will not change. This means that can work and change an Exel table as much as you want without fear of changing the document set and only when you are done then, by conscious choice, you change the linked PDF.
Screen Shot 2013-09-01 at 4.23.26 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Additionally PDF has significant advantages over other file types,
1) Is is a defacto industry standard,
2) It produces incredibly sharp content in relatively small file sizes.
3) It is cross platform, any Unix, Mac or PC user can use it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks,

.pdf works great, well, kind of...

I have set up my legends and tables etc. on OpenOffice at 4x6 for Layouts and the same for Plans, saved them in a folder as masters. (all in .odt format)

From there I copy the legend I need into the job in progress and I export from OO to pdf to the same folder, then I drag the pdf to the plan.

I noticed right away that any edits to my .odt legend after export/replace show almost immediately on my linked .pdf on the plan.

Great tip! it will save me many hours of typing!

Thanks to all!!
Learn and get certified!