BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Text tool in 3D

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why can't I mark up a 3D rendering with the text tool or label tool? I drew a marquee around a small section of my model and went to 3D (not photo rendering). Now I would like to add some notes and send it to an inspector for comment. But the text tool is grayed out. Is there a simple workaround within Archicad?
Thanks- David Kingsley
6 REPLIES 6
Dave Seabury
Advocate
From the 3d window, right click and create a 3d document.

David
AC 19-24 Windows 10 64 bit, Dell Prercision 7820, Xeon Silver 2414R ( 12 Cores), 64 GB Ram, Quadro RTX 4000 8GB
It depends on if you are marking up the model for someone who has access to the model and the Mark Up Tool or not. In the 3D window for example you can view the things you want to reference in your Mark Up, select them, then capture that view with the Mark Up Tool and make your comments. When viewing the model, those items will be shown in a different color if you like and when selected you can open the comments for those items. There are other options with the Mark Up Tools.

Or are you just after a screen shot you can mark up with lines, splines, fills, text... ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes- I'm after a screen shot I can mark up. Thanks for the reply.
https://www.techsmith.com/download/snagit/ is a great solution for that,

however, in ArchiCAD you can just use the marquee tool to surround the area in the 3D window you want to mark up --Copy (Ctrl-C if you like), and paste into a plan view, mark it up there, - surround in plan view with the marquee tool again - copy to clip board - and here is the little trick... Insert into Outlook as Screen Shot. You can't just Ctrl-V to get that into your email with Outlook ( if that is what your using)

Apparently, when you copy what's inside the marquee it is understood by Microsoft Word and Outlook as a screen shot and has to be inserted/pasted in the documents that way instead of just as an image. You will get the whole screen unless you use the screen clipping feature which will take you back to the ArchiCAD window where you can surround the image with markups you want to send in the email.

There are many better ways to do this ( try Snagit for free - good for so many things we do) using other programs but if you are just using ArchiCAD and email this is how you can do it with the Microsoft Office products.

real life example -- When seconds count you will like to be using Snagit. smart ass engineers response was - tell him all the bolts were torqued to the same German spec - Gutentite - with a pipe wrench.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Dave Seabury
Advocate
I will be looking in to that Steve, Thanks for posting.

David
AC 19-24 Windows 10 64 bit, Dell Prercision 7820, Xeon Silver 2414R ( 12 Cores), 64 GB Ram, Quadro RTX 4000 8GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks- Haven't tried it yet but that's exactly what I want to do.
Learn and get certified!