BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Transparent cut fill in a composite in a section view

BradJAllen19
Booster

I've been having a problem which I've been working around using 2d fills in my sections but I feel I'm just missing something that is probably obvious to most users.

I'm working on a section cut through a house.  Part of the house has batt insulation in a cathedral ceiling roof and the rest of the roof is cellulose insulation.  I want to have the insulation be a physical element in the model but I also want to see the trusses in section which are often not directly on a cut line.  No matter what I do I can't seem to get the insulation fill to show the pattern but have the background be transparent.

As you can see in the first image I have the cut fill override on and background set to transparent for the element, I went into the building material and set the background to transparent but I still can't see anything that is behind the fill.  If I manually draw in a 2d fill I can set the background to transparent and it works fine but if I need to move the section cut line I need to adjust the fill instead of it just updating. There is the same problem with the batt insulation as well as the cellulose.  I even tried making a graphic override which singles out those two materials but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Has anyone run into this before?  If so did you find a solution?

section 1.PNGsection 3.PNG

section 4.PNGsection 2.PNG

  

Brad Allen
Designer
Ironwood Manufactured Homes Inc.
Archicad 26
Windows 10
11 REPLIES 11

I've tried making the the surface for the material transparent in a graphic override as you said  but I still can't see anything that is beyond the cut plane through the insulation.  My trusses are complex profile beams as opposed to objects.  I don't know if that affects this function or not.  Also, when you did this was the cut plane inside the truss?  If so that might explain why it worked for you and not for me.  Often the section cut plane is not directly inside a truss because we want to show other features.

Brad Allen
Designer
Archicad 26
Windows 10

Never mind.  I got it to work! For some reason the material strength for the insulation was higher than the truss material.

Brad Allen
Designer
Archicad 26
Windows 10
Learn and get certified!