Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Wall Label That References Wall Surface

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was wondering if anyone knew where to get or how to customize a Wall Label so that i can have it displaying the Surface of that wall. These would mainly be used in elevation views where i want to document the claddings being used.

Currently i have labels with custom text which i edit and manually input the surface that it is pointing too. I have tried making a few with the some of the preloaded labels but couldn't get the desired outcome.
This image shows my desired label but with manually edited text.
46 REPLIES 46
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone tell me why this LABEL doesn't ROTATE like the settings for it would suggest it can in AC19? I have placed it in a plan view
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Can you post a screenshot of the placed Label, it being selected and all content of the panels of its Settings Dialog shown?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Preview pane of selected item with 90° setting of LABEL. Text rotation essential aspect of using this tag for walls.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Additional
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
When the Label has no Pointer (Leader) the Orientation is controlled by the Label Orientation field in the General Settings page of the Custom Settings panel as shown in this clip:

https://youtu.be/C_H9AiBVjYo?list=PLnXY6vLUwlWV4o6WaXSS4RR1ZW5CPeFgN&t=177

When the Label's Pointer is enabled, only then is the Label Orientation controlled by the Rotation Angle field in the Symbol Label panel of the Dialog.

This brings up the question: then why is the Rotation Angle field not disabled when the Pointer is disabled. This way users would know that the field is not relevant when the Pointer is disabled.
And I think the answer to that is that Labels can be scripted in different way. These default ARCHICAD Labels are scripted this way but other Labels may be scripted to use the Rotation Angle field value regardless of the state of the Pointer toggle button. Those Label would not be able to work if the Rotation Angle was disabled.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
hkrna
Enthusiast
Guys, this seems to be a very old thread.
We are in Archicad 25 and still only partial workarounds available for the most basic documentation tasks: Label the Finish (surface) of an element, apply a wall type code, add ratings to a system (not the instance)

The fundamental problem is this: We have the base information in the model, but can't extract it for documentation, and can't add the necessary descriptions!

What needs to be done by Graphisoft (should have been done ages ago)

1) We need Attribute level Properties.
What does it mean?
For Attributes like Surface; Composite; Complex Profile the only available data field is their name!
That's not enough.
Example 1: for a wall tile, we would need to have a short code (T01; T02 etc) simply because there is not enough space in the drawing to label the surface with the full name. Also, as a minimum, would need a short description, supplier, manufacturer, etc.
All this info belongs to the Surface and not to the Building Material. The building material is generic, like Ceramic Tile, then the Surface defines the specifics.
Example 2: A stud wall would be modeled as a composite. The Fire Rating, Acoustic Rating, Thermal Rating of that wall belongs to the Composite level (as a system) not to the placed Instances of the wall, let alone to the Building Materials of each layer.
Example 3: Basic thing: Wall types in any country, any company's documentation would need to have a wall type code (or ceilings a ceiling type etc) This code is obviously not Instance based, but Attribute based -> an ID field for the Composite/complex profile is needed, or let us use custom Properties.

2) We need to be able to label sub elements such as:
- Individual surfaces of a complex profile
- Any clicked surface of a gdl object
- Any clicked surface of a railing (Seriously, why is railing so bad compared to Curtain Wall? wasn't it supposed to be the same technology???? The only difference between a railing and a curtain wall is that railings need to be able to follow stairs at an angle, while Curtain Walls don't need to)
Note:
a) Any gdl element code recognizes parameters defining surface as a different type of variable. Why then that differentiator can't be accessible for labels? (I mean, if it is a variable to define a surface, the name of the variable does not matter, it can remain user defined)
b) Any placed label has an insertion base point. Why that base point can't be matched with a point of the labelled element? That's all that would be required to not label an entire element, but label the part of the element at the clicked point.
ArchiCAD since 4.5

Windows 10
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your idea regarding this issue! We really appreciate the time you've taken to contribute to the development of Archicad!

I'm glad to say that we took notice and we have added this Wish into our Wish database.
(For future reference, you can refer to it as IDEA-4237)

I hope we see this get implemented in the future!
Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT