Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Why are my dimensions disappearing when I change the partial structural display?

4hotshoes
Advisor
I wanted to make dimensioning easier so I changed the Partial Structural Display to "Core Only". This may not be the correct use of this feature. because when I switch it back to "Entire Model" the dims vanish. Can someone explain this? Is there a setting that overrides this? What is the purpose of the partial structural display? What is the better way to dimension to studs without zooming in for each point? Is there another setting that will show studs only for floor plan construction drawings? The contractor does not need to "see" drywall and siding on the plan.

I thought this was going to be a simple question. But now that I write it out...

Thanks
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
4 REPLIES 4
Dimensions are associative to elements AND their Display and /or Renovation State. That's why they disappear if you change partial structure display or renovation status.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Barry Kelly
Yes you will have to dimension in each Partial Structure Display separately.

However if you leave it as 'Entire Model', check in the dimension settings and you will be able to set them to dimension just the core.
Click on the side of the wall when dimensioning , click on the corner nodes means you will still have to chose the exact node you want.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Karol Argasinski
Enthusiast
Dear all,

I really hope, that this can be changed for more "intelligent" move, so usage of partial structural display is more practical and efortless. To be honest, it is pain in the A#% that we have to do dimensions separately on every display method.

Karol
OPENBIM does works!
ArchiCAD 22/23/24/25/26/27 INT &POL

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 128GB RAM, GeForce RTX 3070, Windows 11 Pro
MBP 14 M1 Max 10C 32GB
http://www.bimfaktoria.pl/
DGSketcher
Legend
I would like to see an option that allows separate dimensions respect or ignore the partial display option to eliminate this awkward dilemma of having to duplicate dimensions. Examples would be building outlines, roof angles or dimensioning grid lines which are likely to need displayed whatever the partial structure display setting.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)