Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Zone Tool vs Renovation filters

Unabend
Booster

Hello guys 😉

I have a plan of a simple building, which I have to renovate inside with just as simple movements of the walls. Well. I have set my renovation filters to have the current state plan and the project plan. Well. Now, going to insert the zones with the appropriate tool, in the plan of the current state, it happens that: 1) the zone does not "see" the internal walls and arrives directly at the external walls of the envelope, 2) the zone does not have the its label, but only the background color.

I had never thought about the relationship between the Zone Tool and the Renovation Filters. If with the Quick Options I select the "show all elements" filter, obviously the zone labels also reappear. If I click on them, I see that they are in the "newly built" state.
All in all, it's a bit of a damn mess...
What is the right rule to adopt in these cases? I need the zone stamp both in the existing and in the new one, for example when a room changes its intended use...
Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly

The zones will automatically seek for the walls with the same renovation status.

So if you are placing an 'existing' zone it will seek the 'existing' walls.

If need be you can also use lines set to act as 'Zone Boundary' and these can have a renovation status as well.

If you are using zone 'labels' (and not zone stamps - there is a difference), then you can have as many labels attached to the zone as you like.

Each label can have its own renovation status, so will show/hide with the renovation filter you use.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Unabend
Booster

Hi Barry and thanks for your reply.
I haven't actually thought about the difference between the Zone Tool and the Zone Label... but anyway, my two problems are that 1) I can't get the Zone Tool label to appear when I insert the Zone into a floor plan which has the Renovation Filter set to Existing, and 2) that the Zone Tool "doesn't see" walls labeled "to be demolished".

For me, no matter what reno status I have set when I place a zone, the label is always set as 'existing' even though the zone itself is assigned to the correct reno status.

So if I create a zone where 'existing' is hidden but the zone itself is in a filter that is showing, then I see no label.

Set reno to 'show all', select the label and change its status, is all I can recommend.

Sounds like yours is set to go automatically to another status - so there must be some way of setting it.

I am just not sure how you control the status of the label - I don't use reno filters very much.

Nothing I try seem so have any effect.

The label is always placed as 'existing' for me.

And you are correct.

If I have 4 bounding walls set as 'to be demolished' and I want to places a zone in the 'demolished' status, it does not find the walls.

Again I don't use reno filters very often so I am not sure why that is the case.I guess it is because you would never really have a zone that was to be demolished.

It is either existing or will be new.

You may demolish the walls but that will just create a new zone.

The existing zone will still be there as an existing reference, so you are not actually demolishing a zone.

If that makes sense?

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Unabend
Booster

Thanks Barry, at the moment I can't find out why "by default" my Zone is entered having a label set to "new" as the renovation filter... However, as you also mentioned, just for a moment put "view all" in the filter, assign the tag to "existing", and reactivate the "existing plant" filter. But if I had to build a building with a hundred rooms it would be a big problem :(((

I can't see any way of simply resetting the zone label reno status before you place the zone.

I can use the renovation palette to set the zone itself to 'existing' or 'new' before I place it, but the zone label will always be set as 'existing'.

But what I did find is that you can set up favourites that will control it.

It seems to be getting the settings from the favourites - the zone labels I use are all set as 'existing'.

So I duplicated the label favourite - problem is you can edit the favourite settings, but you can not change the reno status.

So I place a zone, and manually changed the label status to 'new'.

Now selected that label and 'Redefined, the favourite in the favourite palette.

Now I have two favourites for the zone label.

One is 'existing' and one is 'new'.

When I now place my zone, I use the renovation palette to set the status of the zone and then also press the favourite button in the zone settings and choose the label I want with the correct status.

Now every zone I place will have a label with that status , until I choose a different favourite.

That seems to be the long way around to set the status of the label, but it works.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly

I can report that Graphisoft are aware of the problem and are looking into it.

Hopefully they can resolve it so that the reno status of the label follows the status of the zone you are placing.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Unabend
Booster

Great thanks Barry ðŸ˜Ž

cmb
Contributor

Did this get fixed?

@cmb wrote:

Did this get fixed?

There hasn't been any updates to Archicad since April, so not yet.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27