Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

behaviour of dimensions and texts with different scales

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi, it's again the problem while placing the plans in to layout book with different scales.
i drawn the plan in 1:100 sacle .
when i put this in to layout from viewmap with 1:200&300 scales ,i found all the dimension texts and labels,texts getting bigger,got merged together.

is there any solution to control this in any version.it's a seroious problem in archicad..
please give a solution anybody it's great..
Thnx
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
There are two scaling options when placing text and dimensions (in the settings dialogue).

One is to have the text at a "fixed size".
This will keep the text at the same printable size regardless of the scale of the plan.
So as you increase/decrease the scale the the plan will increase/decrease in size and the text will remain constant.
Giving the impression the text is getting bigger or smaller - it isn't as it is fixed size.
Depending on the position of the anchor points for the text it will appear to move on the plan as well.
To use fixed size text efficiently you will need to create a new text and dimension layer for each scale and duplicate the text in these layers as required - positioning it to suit that particular scale.
Save a view of each scale plan and use these in your layouts.

The other option is to have "scaled" text.
This will increase/decrease the size of the text as you change scale so it appears to be constant with the plan.
The downside of this is the text will print at a physically bigger or smaller size.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply.

Great...but what about the dimensions..
it is tedious task for me since i have finished my plans almost,again i have to rework for different scales.as you told i have to take a copy of texts n dimenions,labels and change the font size to that scale and put it in a diff layers.
but what happens when i revised the plan so that text also..it's laborious.

is there any way to skip this and my job is done...
Barry Kelly
Usually when you want to display a plan at different scale you would want to show a different type of information.
i.e. more detailed notes and more dimensions at a larger scale or less at a smaller scale.
Hence another reason to have separate text and dimension layers for various scales.

It wouldn't be very often you want to show the same information at different scales - at least not in my experience.
What sort of information are you trying to show at different scales?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
jakubc
Newcomer
Gonna be quite late with this (like 3 years) but still... I googled this topic and I believe I had similiar problem, maybe someone will google it too.
The solution for me was to select text tool from Tool Box -> Document. Then I just clicked ctrl+a (select all). But you can really just use filter tool or switch layers visibility (if you import dwg, it would import its layers) - just choose the right way for your case. Then, when I only had text objects I wanted to change selected, just click Setting dialog and tick option "model scale" instead of "paper scale".
What sort of information are you trying to show at different scales?
For the above question - in my case, I wanted to print a plan on A4 (I only had a4 printer in my home) for sketching purposes, but I couldn't do that with text layer on, cause after changing scale to fit a4, text was so huge it would cover the whole drawing... =p So I can imagine one can have many different reasons to do such thing
ArchiCAD 16 * Windows XP & Vista 32bit & Win8 64bit
*AMD 8150 FX*AMD Radeon 7970*8Gb ram