BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

defpoints layer

dhnguyen
Contributor
In AutoCAD there is a layer that is called defpoints, where anything on it can show up, but it wont get printed.
Does ArchiCAD has a similar layer?

I don't want to create a layer and have it turned off on the layer combination.
DNguyen

ArchiCAD 18- 25

(expert in AutoCAD, novice in ArchiCAD)
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
The only element that is visible but non-printing in ARCHICAD is the Hotspot. Useful for placing critical snap points. Various on-screen options (e.g. section depths) are non-printing as well.

If you want arbitrary geometry to be visible but non-printing, your only options are to us a layer that is visible in an 'editing' model view, but turned off in the model view that a placed drawing is based on...

or... you can use Trace & Reference and reference a view that shows the layer(s) that hold things that you do not want to print - while the main view describes the printable view. Since a reference can be to the same or another story, a worksheet, etc you have choices beyond layers as to where to place the non-printing information.

Layers is the easiest solution; not sure why you don't want to do that?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
dhnguyen
Contributor
I have crazy viewports with all kinds of weird angles. I have to crop the viewport setting and show an outline frame around the viewport.

The only way for it to show up nicely is that I draw lines so I can realign the points to. Then I end up deleting those lines after i'm done so they dont print.
DNguyen

ArchiCAD 18- 25

(expert in AutoCAD, novice in ArchiCAD)
Barry Kelly
dhnguyen wrote:
Then I end up deleting those lines after i'm done so they dont print.
Don't delete the lines, just put them in a layer that you only turn on when you need them.

Or you can use your layout pages (viewports?) as the trace reference.

Another option is to use a white pen for your extent lines.
White pens do not print - but they will hide anything they sit on top of so you may need to use display order to send them to the back.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!