Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

dimensions at angles?

Anonymous
Not applicable
i am having a heck of a time figuring out how to make this easy. sometimes it works, but rarely, and i never know what exactly i did when it does.

normally my dims are simply up down / lft rt. at 90s

on the rare occasion i need an angled dim, i can never get it to break that orthogonal axis.

i even go back n forth between the ortho / angle buttins in the settings.

is there a certain place i should be clicking or what?

please help!
7 REPLIES 7
Erika Epstein
Booster
For dimensioning the length of a non-orthagonal wall.
The button to the right is for an angle between to elements.

HTH
dimensions of an angled wall.png
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
yup, even go back n forth between the ortho / angle buttins in the settings.

it still doesnt work. is there a bug or something?
Jere
Expert
Are you sure you're placing the hammer cursor in the correct position? Notice where the highlighted (dark grey) portion of the circle is when using the dimension tool. As you move the cursor around it'll highlight different areas of the circle to indicate the orientation of the dimension lines.
Angled dimension.png
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
knosaj:

Also, once a dimension line has been placed, it can be rotated to the required angle. When placing an angled dimension line, the first 2 dimension points determine the angle of the dimension line.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
In 16, I was seeing if I could duplicate the the original poster's problem, (which I could not), but what did happen was after a few (maybe 10) dimensions on a couple of angled walls, (but deleting some as I went) the dimension tool would not put points down any more.
No matter what I did: create new walls, change stories and create new walls, or rebuild, select other tools and come back to dim tool, it would not dimension any longer.
Only closing that file and starting a new one brought back the functionality of the dimension tool.
lec

Hey did you ever get a real answer to this. I've tried everything I can see and my off axis dimensions are still just slightly skewed.  Thanks.

Designer/ Drafter

ArchiCAD 26 on 27" Mac

The angle of the dimension is parallel to the first 2 points you pick when choosing the points.

Images of the problem you are having are really helpful.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11