Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

dimensions in 3d?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think this is possible now, but it would be great to be able to dimension a rendering, especially an axonometric drawing. Instead, now I have to fake it, dimensioning an image file of the axo. We are using steel frames and have to send out axos to the fabricator. This would really help!
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you have any chance to try the 3D dimensioning tool from the GDL Object Depository? It's not that flexible but it can be helpful.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/object_depository.php?browse=Depository/01%20General/Graphic%20S...
Thomas Holm
Booster
sanderarchitects wrote:
... dimensioning an image file ...
I don't know what you mean by "image file". But there are 2 workarounds if you:

Set the 3D window to Internal Engine in Hidden Line mode.

a) . Save a camera so you can retrieve the setting. Save a named view. Place the view on a layout and dimension that (needs some scale tweaking)

or

b) Save (with the 3D window active) the view as Archicad 2D Lines format. Drag this .2DL into your floor plan (edited) and dimension it.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Thomas wrote:
b) Save (with the 3D window active) the view as Archicad 2D Lines format. Drag this .2DL into your floor plan (or a Worksheet) and dimension it.
Is this better than using a flat marquee in 3D to copy and paste to a window?

I can't get a 2dl to drop anywhere but the plan window, but paste works anywhere.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Thomas Holm
Booster
James wrote:

Is this [SaveAs .2DL] better than using a flat marquee in 3D to copy and paste to a window?
I don't know. I'm sure it is consistent (works the same every time) , but I wouldn't be sure of copy/paste.
I can't get a 2dl to drop anywhere but the plan window, but paste works anywhere.
I've only tested the plan window, I have to admit. I added the worksheet because I took for granted that it should work.

(Lesson: NEVER take anything for granted in software - I should know that already after 20 years of disappointments, but I still repeat that mistake. I can just say I'm sorry. I will edit that away from my previous post now)

I've also noticed that a drag and drop of a 2DL into a floor plan doesn't give a linked external drawing which I think it should nowadays, instead it pastes all the linework directly ungrouped into the Archicad layer. The 2DL is a very old Archicad option, I guess that's the reason.

(I think it was there when I started using the program, in version 3.5 or something
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for the help about that, but when i bring the 2dl file back in it doesn't scale correctly, it scaled up a random amount. When I saved the 2dl I saved it as a scaled drawing. Any ideas of why I'm losing the scale? Thanks!
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
sanderarchitects:

When you are setting up the view in the Parallel Projection Settings dialog box, make sure that the "h" values for "X", "Y", and "Z" are the same, and the projection type is a named projection (like "Monometric axonometry"). If you have been orbiting in the 3D window, these values can get set to Custom, which is a distorted view.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14