BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

floor plan shift when linked to another view

Dave Brach
Advocate

Normally when I make a copy of a drawing on a layout (say an existing site plan) and then link the drawing (using the "link to" command) to another view (say a new site plan) I expect the view to stay in the exact same place.  but I am working on a project now where the plan shifts when re-linked to another view.  Any ideas why?

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 8.03.16 PM.png
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly

Anything to do with the view settings being different for each view?

BarryKelly_0-1686018243438.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Marc H
Advisor

Should be the same place if the second view is a direct copy from the first.  If not a copy from the first, there may be different sources (model vs worksheet), or settings (e.g., zoom, etc.)

“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors

View settings are identical.  It happens when I drag a copy of the drawing, or copy/paste the drawing onto another layout.  It just shifts the plan, like 20 or 30'.  I've never had it happen on another project before.

Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura

Hi Dave,

Maybe it’s something structural to the view. Could it be the ‘second’ view is from a different ‘story’?  For example, they took it from another topo or roof level that still looks graphically similar?

“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors

still a mystery to me.  I first noticed it with 2 site plans--existing and new.  The only difference between the 2 views is he renovation status-one is "existing plan" and the other "planned status", but it also happens with floor plans from different levels.  I thought it might have something to do with project orientation since it is 90° and we usually work in 0°  but if I set it back to 0 it still does it. 

Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
DGSketcher
Legend

Have you set "Use Drawing's internal origin as anchor" in the Drawing Selection Settings? If not you will find linked views will potentially move to suit the cropped boundary. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Learn and get certified!