BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

level for bottom surface of slab (for false ceiling purpose)

alemanda
Advocate
Hi all,
is there any way using the level tool to have the bottom level of a slab and not the top level? Is it possible using gdl?
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
11 REPLIES 11
Erich
Contributor
It's easy in GDL. The trick is setting the output values to be equal to the GLOB_ELEVATION-SLAB_THICKNESS. These are both global variables.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
alemanda
Advocate
Yes!
What kind of object can I write? Is it a label (associated to the slab) or a level object?
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
Anonymous
Not applicable
If, you are working in section or elevation ... then, thanks to Roberto Corona this little gem has come to light. Straight out of the linear dimension tool.

Perform a search on GDL for the level tool, this has been discussed before.
linear dimension tool - elevations.jpg
alemanda
Advocate
... no I would need it for the plan ...
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
alemanda wrote:
... no I would need it for the plan ...
In AC17 you can use the Label tool associated to the Slab to display it's top and/or bottom elevations via the "Dimension Label 17" library part.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
rob2218
Enthusiast
JAMES.
could you please explain step by step how to go about doing this?
I mean.....I see the "label" tool. i see the "Dimension Label 17" but I just can't seem to get the top of slab displayed?

Please..help.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Karl Ottenstein
Don't know that James will be following this thread 6 months later... so, replying for him, Rob:

The key is 'associated'. Labels can either be independent (dumb) or associative (smart - read data from an element).

See:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-17-int-reference-guide/documentation/annotation/lab...

although a typical workflow is to set up the default label (e.g., for slabs) here first:
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-17-int-reference-guide/documentation/annotation/lab...

Then, you just tick the 'Label Slab' checkbox in the slab tool settings to have the associated label appear. Once the label is placed, it can be selected independently of the slab to customize its appearance (over the default) vs other slab associative labels.

In 17, you can specify if you want the top, bottom, or both elevations displayed, and if it is relative to the story or the project. See screenshot.

I'm not fond of this new 'dimension label' since it doesn't have a symbol associated with it, only text. But, the numbers are 'live', and respond to any changes to the slab thickness or vertical position.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks Karl,
got it.
was able to make the "slab label" using the "Dimension Label 17" read the proper elevation based off project zero.

it now reads the correct vertical elevation height of the slab object.
Yes....wish it had a "graphic circle elevation tag" connected to it's appearance as well.

Wonder who here has the knowledge to create such an animal?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can add the circle bit on by unchecking the "use symbol Arrow" option - see screenshot.

But...

When it places the Circle it places it oddly (in AC18 at least) second screenhot to follow..Any way round this..?
Learn and get certified!