BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

pen weights not printing correctly

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I print the pen weights all come through as super heavy - 1.4pt (I know this as I have opened the pdf drawings in adobe illustrator to check). This is the same regardless of printing to pdf or printing to our canon inkjet ix4000.

The pen weights are set correctly in both the view properties and the layout properties.

We are using archicad 13 on Mac, however also had this problem with archicad 11.

We need to work out how to get pen weights to print correctly...

Help!?
10 REPLIES 10
Thomas Holm
Booster
What happens if you Publish instead of printing?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the suggestion, just tried publishing and have the same result unfortunately.
Thomas Holm
Booster
OK, next question:
You're telling me ALL pens, that is everything Archicad prints, get the same pen weight. Are they also the same colour? If that's the case, what colour?

and, if you print directly from a model window (a plan window for instance, not a layout) do you get the same result?

and, do you have ANY (Options>Element Attributes>) Pen set in your project that contains the pens you get when printing?

do you use ANY of the print options (print dialog) hairline/black&white/greyscale?
what happens if you do?

did you check, with a layout selected in the Navigator, the Options>Layout Attributes>PenSets menu command?

did you, with any placed view on a layout selected, check the actual used pen set in the DrawingSelectionSettings dialog?

and did you notice you have the same print options as in the Print dialog in the DrawingSelectionSettings dialog too, that is B&W, Greyscale etc.?

how did you solve this issue last time (with AC11)?

did you try to print to any other printer?
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
My gut reaction is that the individual drawings have an overriding PEN SET in the layout... You mentioned the LAYOUT pens are set correctly, but did you mean the pens assigned to each particular drawing?

When setting the VIEWS, you can assign a pen set, but when the drawing is sitting on the layout, you can also tell it to use an OVERRIDING pen set. which may mess it up. Make sure each drawing say PENS FROM VIEW SETTINGS (or something like that)...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Thomas Holm
Booster
Hi Duane, I guess the guy got exhausted and went to sleep after working through my long question list 😉

I have a feeling your guts are right, however I don't remember how to set this override, and I'm at home and can't test it. Anybody?
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
You know, it's that little button in the INFO BOX...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Or this, inside each drawings SETTINGS dialog:
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Thomas Holm
Booster
So you're working! (of course, in ca. )
I see your term 'override' is better than 'the actual used pen set in the Drawing Selection Settings' 😉 but that

I realise what I meant to ask is, if possible, where to set a general default override for all drawings before you place them?
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
It's probably one of those things that you do by EYEDROPPERING...

So if you EYEDROPPER a placed drawing that has PENS: BY VIEW SETTINGS then the next one placed will have that as well...

Same goes for TITLE TYPE, Fit Frame To Drawings / Manually Resize Frame and others.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Learn and get certified!