BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

printing a pdf with different page orientation

Kamelite
Advocate
So, here is the issue, that I did not even know was something I had to worry about until yesterday:

in my typical pdf with plans and sections and so on, I often have a mixture of landscape and portrait orientation of the pages. I did not realize that it does not print correctly until now. If i choose paper direction to be portrait, all my landscape-oriented pages are attempted to print in portrait orientation too, wich cuts away a third of my page. The same is ofcourse happening vice versa if i set page orientation to be landscape.

How do you deal with this issue? Atleast adobe pdf reader has no function for adjusting orientation on a pr page basis?

Thnx, kamelite
Windows 10, Archicad 27
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could publish Landscape pages to one file and Portrait pages to another, then use Adobe Acrobat or something similar to merge the two PDF files and re-order the pages if necessary.
Barry Kelly
When you print do you have the option to auto-rotate the page?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Or publish to printer directly from ArchiCAD?

I have a publisher set setup with all our different master layout page sizes. With the 'new' change/issue manager thingy it is very quick to print only the pages in current issue, which is the bulk of our printwork on typical projects.

I also find that printing from ArchiCAD directly gives nicer lineweights on our printer than printing from a published PDF, but that might just be an issue with our particular printer.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Barry Kelly
Erwin wrote:
I also find that printing from ArchiCAD directly gives nicer lineweights on our printer than printing from a published PDF, but that might just be an issue with our particular printer.
Check the DPI setting that you are publishing the PDFs as.
It is probably much less than your printer can handle.
But higher DPI means bigger PDF file size.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You mean arc resolution?

I could try that.

Printing straight from ArchiCAD is generally faster too. Maybe something to do with PostScript? I'm not very knowledgable about printing issues. We used to have to submit permits in sets of six (luckily NL joined the digital age in 2010). Printing large number of layouts really made us notice the difference in speed between PDF and just from ArchiCAD directly.
pdf_options.jpg
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is your printer postscript? If so install the postscript driver rather than the default non-postscript driver that is usually installed in Windows. The interface may not be as user friendly (for the Xerox and Oce printers I use) as the default driver but I have found print times much faster and quality significantly better as the printer does all of the rasterisation work not the driver.

As a documentation control / quality management procedure I always print from PDF so that i have the exact same document that I have issued without having to keep maybe dozens of copies of each drawing.

Scott
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
We use PDF copies for anything that gets issued, yep. Along with that a PLA is saved.

I'll have a look at postscript drivers. We do have Océ plotter as well.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Kamelite
Advocate
"Barry Kelly" wrote:
When you print do you have the option to auto-rotate the page?

Barry.

How did I miss that option? No, I don't. But I've just tested it, and ofcourse it solves the problem 🙂

But since PostScript-drivers was mentioned, how do I know if I have a postscript-driver installed?
Windows 10, Archicad 27
Learn and get certified!