Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

printing to HP DesignJet 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just set up my HP designjet 100 and have only done 2 prints, one at medium quality and one at draft.

I am extremly pleased with the quality. Hope it continues.

My question is:

I have a friend on AC8 who does not have a plotter or large format printer. Is there a typical method to allow him to be able to send me files and then I print them?

I see you can print to file from plotmaker in the printer settings, but then what do I do with the file? how do I send it to the printer. ( It won't drag and drop in the spool folder. )

As far as plotting goes If I plot from plotmaker nothing happens.
I guess plotting may not be an option.

If I'm missing something can someone please point me in the right direction.
4 REPLIES 4
Djordje
Ace
Kerry wrote:
I have a friend on AC8 who does not have a plotter or large format printer. Is there a typical method to allow him to be able to send me files and then I print them?
Make your Masters for HP 100 in a blank layout book, one for each paper size you use, one landscape one portrait or as required, and send the layout book to him to use as a template. Let all his LBKs be based on your template.

Then, he sends you the layout book with the placed files included (can be hefty, so FTP download or CD emailing might be an option!) and you print it out.

Then, there is always PDF. Ha can print to PDF (especially if he is on Windows, Amyuni that is included with 8.x does the job very nicely). Then he can send you the PDF and you can print for him.

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Thomas Holm
Booster
If your friend wants full control over the result, and minimum hassle with file sizes, transfer etc, the way to go is PDF. He sets up the correct page size, "prints to file" using the PDF format.

He can use the free PDF creators (Amyuni delivered with Archicad on the PC or the system's built-in in MacOSX) or, to get more control, buy Adobe Acrobat Standard (probably enough) or Professional.

He sends it to you and you print it using Adobe Reader (free, download from adobe.com). Remember to set page scaling to none.

Note that if you have any version of Photoshop, and upgrade to Adobe's latest Creative Suite, Acrobat is included in the package.

Thomas
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Karl Ottenstein
Djordje wrote:
Then, there is always PDF. Ha can print to PDF (especially if he is on Windows, Amyuni that is included with 8.x does the job very nicely). Then he can send you the PDF and you can print for him.
You may have a wrinkle printing PDF on the DesignJet 100 similar to what I've seen in one office with a DesignJet 500.

On the 500, only the basic model was purchased, with no additional memory or add-on cards. We were unable to print PDF's to scale (uncheck 'shrink' and 'stretch')...the file would spool and just disappear. No error message. I switched the 500 driver to 'draft' quality just to speed up the process while trying other settings... and voila, the PDF sheet printed. Switched back to medium quality - disappeared. I'm guessing it is some problem with the 500 not having enough internal memory - or with the HP driver (have the most current one) ... and very weird that no error message was given.

Maybe this will help you on the 100. The only thing we noticed at draft resolution was that large type had polygonal edges.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks all for the replies,

I do overflow work for his firm so I have a master sheet set up with all their logo's etc. I will give this method a go and see how well it works.

He does most of his work on A3 but has the odd job that requires A1.

Kerry.