BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

re-naming Layer Combinations causes missing views

Haneef Tayob
Booster
Not sure if I'm missing something.
It seems that if one renames a Layer Combination that was used by a certain view, it goes 'missing' in that view.
Should the layer setting in the view not update to reflect the re-naming.
Haneef Tayob
Aziz Tayob Architects
AC23 INT rel 3003, OS X 10.14.6 iMac 3.3ghz i5 dual monitor, 24GB RAM
2 REPLIES 2
Karl Ottenstein
Haneef wrote:
Should the layer setting in the view not update to reflect the re-naming.
You would think so ... if ArchiCAD were truly a database... but unfortunately, layer combos and certain other attributes are stored by their name, not their index number and so renaming "breaks" view settings.

I recommend that everyone have two "auditing" (error checking) interactive schedules at the top of their View Map to remind them to check each for errors before printing a project.

One checks every View for any "Missing" combos, model view options, and other improper settings. (Unfortunately, you cannot schedule all view settings - but these are the ones that get broken by renaming/etc.)

The other checks placed Drawings to make sure that they all have the proper scale, zoom, pen set, title, etc.

I'll attach my view scheme XML next, but here is a screenshot of where in Index Settings to Import the XML I'm posting. (General note - this is how you export schedules from one project and import the schemes into another until your template stabilizes.)

The advantage of opening an 'auditing' schedule such as this is that when things go 'missing', you can quickly find and correct the views since the schedule is interactive.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Here's my personal view auditing scheme. I'll rearrange the columns depending on what sort order I need to correct problems I find. At the moment, it is sorted by view map.

When having layer combo issues, you might put the combo field first so that it is sorted by that, grouping all 'missing' combo views together for easy recognition and correction.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!