BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

show the roof slope automatically

Gisele
Advocate

Is there a way to show the roof slope automatically?

AC 26 - 5002 USA FULL
Win11 Pro 22H2 - 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900KF 3.00 GHz - 64 GB - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Karl Ottenstein

Can you be more specific?  The slope shows in the Info Box (and settings) when a roof is selected.  I'm guessing you are looking instead for a label that auto-displays the roof pitch? 

There used to be a roof slope label on the USA ArchiPlus download page, but I don't see it there now.  (In fact, the link to that page from the Help menu doesn't work either.)

There is a really, really old object from James Murray  here if you're looking for US style pitch labeling.  I just tried it and in spite of being 18 years old, it works in 26!  Add it to your embedded library (or wherever) and it will show up as an option for the Label tool:

https://www.onland.info/archives/2005/01/roof_slope_jam9.php

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 3.54.23 PM.jpg

(My surprise that something old still works is that when Roof Slope JAM9 was written, Archicad only had single plane roofs.  I wasn't sure it could read a multi-plane roof, but it can.)

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

View solution in original post

Solution
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

i've created a couple of Properties to call up a few things:

GerryLeonor_0-1682039975358.png

the pitch is a simple callup from the Label tool.

the first two (percentage & ratio) are from the 2 new properties i've created:

slope:
displays the value as a percentage gradient
eg. 5% rise

CONCAT ( STR ( TAN ( {Property:Roof/Pitch} ) * 100, 0 ), "%" )

grade:
displays the value as a slope ration
eg. 1:8 fall

CONCAT ( "1:", STR ( 1 / TAN ( {Property:Roof/Pitch} ) ) )

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8

Solution

for the properties, i would suggest watching the video below.

ARCHICAD Tip - Calculate Beam Slope - YouTube

that can give you a good primer on how to create properties for the Slopes.

regarding the pitch, i don't have AC in front of me right now, but when you're in the middle of a Label text box, click on the @ symbol (top left corner), this should open up a directory of the various properties that can get called up in a Label tool. search for "Pitch". it should belong under Roof. Double click it & it should create a some text. if you created the label text box while hovering over a roof, the new text will reflect the slope, otherwise it will come up with some coding jargon & will keep displaying as such, until you've re-linked that label to a placed Roof element.

9 REPLIES 9
Solution
Karl Ottenstein

Can you be more specific?  The slope shows in the Info Box (and settings) when a roof is selected.  I'm guessing you are looking instead for a label that auto-displays the roof pitch? 

There used to be a roof slope label on the USA ArchiPlus download page, but I don't see it there now.  (In fact, the link to that page from the Help menu doesn't work either.)

There is a really, really old object from James Murray  here if you're looking for US style pitch labeling.  I just tried it and in spite of being 18 years old, it works in 26!  Add it to your embedded library (or wherever) and it will show up as an option for the Label tool:

https://www.onland.info/archives/2005/01/roof_slope_jam9.php

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 3.54.23 PM.jpg

(My surprise that something old still works is that when Roof Slope JAM9 was written, Archicad only had single plane roofs.  I wasn't sure it could read a multi-plane roof, but it can.)

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Kim Ong
Participant

Hello Gisele

I have been using a label tool with smart autotext in the pet palette, using 'pitch' This works in plan and I also assume in elevation or section as it is pulling up the data from the roof object.

If you are just using it for review for example just to work it out a roof pitch  as you look at elements, I have my workspace setup so when I select an element hovering over it, I can see basic information like its pitch when i hover my cursor over it.

More context will help with answering your future enquiries.

Roof Pitch.png
Solution
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

i've created a couple of Properties to call up a few things:

GerryLeonor_0-1682039975358.png

the pitch is a simple callup from the Label tool.

the first two (percentage & ratio) are from the 2 new properties i've created:

slope:
displays the value as a percentage gradient
eg. 5% rise

CONCAT ( STR ( TAN ( {Property:Roof/Pitch} ) * 100, 0 ), "%" )

grade:
displays the value as a slope ration
eg. 1:8 fall

CONCAT ( "1:", STR ( 1 / TAN ( {Property:Roof/Pitch} ) ) )

Thank you, Gerry,

The default labels tools that I have do not show an option for the roof pitch. How to add a roof label?  Also, I don't know how to create properties.

labels.jpg
AC 26 - 5002 USA FULL
Win11 Pro 22H2 - 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900KF 3.00 GHz - 64 GB - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Thank you, Kim! If I hover over the roof, I can read Roof Pitch: -2.39 but I want to show a ratio like
(1 : 12). Also, the label tool that I have in the pet palette does not have the pitch option.

AC 26 - 5002 USA FULL
Solution

for the properties, i would suggest watching the video below.

ARCHICAD Tip - Calculate Beam Slope - YouTube

that can give you a good primer on how to create properties for the Slopes.

regarding the pitch, i don't have AC in front of me right now, but when you're in the middle of a Label text box, click on the @ symbol (top left corner), this should open up a directory of the various properties that can get called up in a Label tool. search for "Pitch". it should belong under Roof. Double click it & it should create a some text. if you created the label text box while hovering over a roof, the new text will reflect the slope, otherwise it will come up with some coding jargon & will keep displaying as such, until you've re-linked that label to a placed Roof element.

Thank you, Karl! 

AC 26 - 5002 USA FULL

Though does it still work if your multiplane has different slopes?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Yes, it can read a multi-plane roof!

AC 26 - 5002 USA FULL
Learn and get certified!