GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.
SOLVED!

3D view in GDL missing in student version?

Ingolf
Advocate

I am a teacher of BIM in general and Archicad in special. Just now I teach "Scripting in Archicad". The problem is that we don't see the 3D View in the GDL script. I suspect it is a missing feature in the student version. Anyone who can confirm this?

Ingolf_0-1707743968533.png

Ingolf_1-1707744008005.png

Ingolf Sundfør, Bricklayer, Author of several Real Life Problem Solving Books for Archicaddicts in Norway.
PC/i7/W11/ArchiCAD 6.5-27
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Ingolf
Advocate

Now one of my BIM-students, Adrian Sørensen, has found it out. Probably something in the Norwegian version of the template. When in the GDL editor, you have to open Parallel Projection Settings and choose a random view. Then you will see the element in 3D View in GDL. Solved 😀

GDL.png

Ingolf Sundfør, Bricklayer, Author of several Real Life Problem Solving Books for Archicaddicts in Norway.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
runxel
Legend

No, everything is available in the EDU version.

You are just zoomed out a lot. I can see something small in there 😉

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Ingolf
Advocate

Thanks for a swift answer. But I don’t think so. I have tried to zoom in and to use the Zoom All button. But this doesn’t help. 

Have you tried another object?

Also there might be errors in the 3D script, which will prevent the display of everything.

But speaking from experience and knowledge: there is no such constraint with the EDU version.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

Yes. I have made several objects and tried some gs made objects as this chair. The 2D view works fine. But the 3D view is not visble. I have tried two different PCs. I will ask the BIM-students tomorrow if they too experience this. 

I guess it depends on what you have scripted.

It looks to me, as runxel said, that you have something far from the origin.

Try the 'fit to window' button to see what shows up.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thank you Barry. I have both scripted myself and tried gs objects. 
And have of course tried ‘fit in window’.  I will ask my students to try the GDL 3D View today. 

I assume you can see 3D in Archicad itself?

I have sometimes seen funny cropping or cutting appear in the 3D window.

Making it a free floating window (un-docking) helps when that happens to me.

Then fit to window.

BarryKelly_0-1707801023134.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

3D in ordinary Archicad works well. I will try undocking, thanks. 

Ingolf
Advocate

My BIM-students have all tried using the 3D View in the GDL editor. None of them could see the object. I assume it must be a limitation in the student version of the norwegian Archicad. That is a pity. It is much easier to create something when you have an idea where the local coordination system is. Agree?