BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Again, GDL in a graphic / semiautomated way

bouhmidage
Advisor

This is a very clear and informative GDL course on youtube , i wish to thank the presenter , beacause we need a lot of this training quality, 

this video is about creating interface for end user, 

I noticed, that there is a lot of repetitive tasks, and things that can be automated, 

for exemple, to insert an attribute selector, you have to tape the parameter name, the attribute selector type, their position X and Y in the canvas, Text style, etc 

all of this stuff could be graphic isn't ? 

the object creation also could be in a graphic way, i don't think, in the era of Programming, that this is difficult to do , just saying, 

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
6 REPLIES 6
bouhmidage
Advisor

I'm think8ng to create a simple gdl object, an assmebly of 3 electric switches, each switch could have some options to choose from, 

When i think about the amount of work i'll doo just to have an object , i give out 😄😄😄

Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional

Go ahead if your client can pay for 😃!

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11
bouhmidage
Advisor

You think he will pay 20 hours of work to create a switch combo ?? 🤔 😄

Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional

I think this is something Graphisoft has failed to recognise and resolve for a very long time. Whilst GDL allows you to go quite deep in terms of level of customisation, the amount of time you need to invest to develop a working object template is not really worth it. This is evident by the lack of GDL objects available online. I love GDL but most architecture practices don’t have the resources to pay someone to sit there and create GDL objects all day long, Archicad really needs a similar model to Revit families. The archicad users who know GDL also don’t have time to sit there and type thousands of line of code as their time is better spent elsewhere on projects. This needs to be a task that an entry level archicad user can complete. Graphisoft have not addressed this on the public road map, which suggests it’s not even on their radar. In all honesty, that ship has probably sailed already as RFA’s have long been the benchmark for suppliers producing 3D content. A missed opportunity by Graphisoft.

BIM Manager | Graduate of Architecture
Fulton Trotter Architects - Sydney, Australia
Archicad 15 - 27

Time is both art and money! I hope they will understand that one day by making its applicability easier.

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11

@Jarrod Phillips wrote:

I think this is something Graphisoft has failed to recognise and resolve for a very long time. 

• Failed to recognise : i don't think , beacause the formus is FULL of questions about GDL and people complaining about the difficulties they face to even start learning it
  • Failed to resolve it : YES , totally agree, but every problem have a soltion , 

Graphisoft try to justfy the use of GDL language by the versatility of objects and their capability to be customised and schedueled , for exemple, you can start with a 90 cm door, and create thousands of different doors dimensions without duplicating the object, this strenght can be seen clearely in complex objects , 

It's a benefit for us, but a handicap at the same time, we can create unlimited STATIC number of objects, not ready to be schedueled in a smart way , 

we always ask for easier GDL to handle daily work problems, like :

1. plan symbols of sections and elevations
  2. elevation markers
  3. level dimension markers
  4. Marker headers
  5. doors casing, finish, sill , lintel , 
  6. same for windows
  7. label pointers, headers, 
  8. trusses and wall studs, 
  9. Drawing titles
  10. and more

each object type has a template to start with, draw what you want , add text, add modifiers, and use it, no need for extra complex objects for now, the archicad library does the job for scheduling, we need GDL for daily work, 

We can devide the object creation workflow to 2 parts : 

1. Design the object : with a template as i said, in 2D and 3D, with possibility to add modifiers, variables, constraints, etc
  2. Design the interface : a blanc object parameter menu, with all possible commands in a list : dropdown lists, checkbox, image selector, text entry box , etc, 

6 months ago , i decided to customize my template, i spent 3 days to modify a drawing title to suit my needs, starting from the default drawing title from archciad , searching in the forum, in youtube, reading line codes, to create just a DRAWING title, 

We need a solution for this, manufacturers need this too , 

Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
Learn and get certified!