BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Facade depth marks

bouhmidage
Advisor

Hi,

bouhmidage_0-1700598085997.png

You can see in the attached image how i manually insert Facade depth marks, 

actually nothing can achieve this automatically inside archicad , unless you model a base wall, and add a clumn in frn of it , and label the column depth to get the right value automatically, 

this technique isn't always useful, 

I'm thinking about a GDL object, drawn in plan between the 2 levels, it's like an invisible succession of planes that can be adjusted in plan, we set the first plan on the referance surface, all other plans can be adjusted in plan and detected by a label in elevations, 

bouhmidage_1-1700598432150.png

Can this be done in GDL ? 

Thanks.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
6 REPLIES 6
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

i understand that the language is abit of a barrier, but i don't know what you mean by Facade Depth Marks.

do you have a photo from a manufacturer that you'll be using? that might be a better way to convey the information / question.

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8
bouhmidage
Advisor

Hi Guerry,

In elevation, the exterior face of the main wall is considered as a reference,  it has 0 cm depth, 

U have to mension the distance from that face to Any adjacent volume, 

In the attached images, on plan the difference between outside faces the big straight wall and the small volume ob the left is 37, 

This dimension is also mentionned on the elevation  + 37

Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional

I think you can do this.

You can certainly create an object in plan to set the depths of the planes.

Each plane would have its own parameter that sets the depth from the reference plane.

You would need to have it place planes in 3D at those positions - in fact you would only need it to place one plane or surface in 3D.

You just need to be able to see the object in elevation so you can associate labels to it.

You can create a label that can read the values of those parameters.

You would need to see the object in 3D (elevation) to be able to associate a label.

But you would need it in a layer that you can turn off (hide) the object.

The labels must not be set to 'hide with associated element'.

Now you place the labels on the elevation, associating to the object.

However, as you place the labels, you need to tell them which plane value they are to display.

The label isn't actually calculating the depths of the planes (that is why you only need one surface), it is just reporting the parameter value you tell it to use.

As the label is reading the parameter values, if you adjust them in the object (you could have stretchy hotspots in plan), the labels on the elevation will adjust as well.

You would need to hide the object in elevation (possibly in plan as well, by turning off the layer.

But if the labels are not set to hide as well, they will still show on your elevation.

It will at least be automatic based on the distances you set in the object in plan.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
MF BIM
Booster

Hello @bouhmidage ,

I just made an object that may give you some ideas, it's a quick effort but it's juste a be a proof of concept. It's not a proper symbol as that subtype doesn't allow scripting in 3D, it's a generic documentation element.

Basically, you set the origin point of the object (that would be the ±0.00) in plan view and then there are two "planes", a back one and a front one that are movable for the depths and lateral position. In elevation, it's possible to move the marks laterally and vertically.

To note, the object is only visible in plan views, sections and elevations and was made in Archicad 24.

Capture d’écran 2023-11-22 à 23.35.02.pngCapture d’écran 2023-11-22 à 23.39.49.png

https://mfbim.fr | https://youtube.com/@mfbim
AC21 FRA 3005 - AC24 FRA 7600 - AC26 FRA 4027 | MacBook M1 Pro

@Barry Kelly wrote:

I think you can do this.

You can certainly create an object in plan to set the depths of the planes.

Each plane would have its own parameter that sets the depth from the reference plane.

You would need to have it place planes in 3D at those positions - in fact you would only need it to place one plane or surface in 3D.

You just need to be able to see the object in elevation so you can associate labels to it.

You can create a label that can read the values of those parameters.

You would need to see the object in 3D (elevation) to be able to associate a label.

But you would need it in a layer that you can turn off (hide) the object.

The labels must not be set to 'hide with associated element'.

Now you place the labels on the elevation, associating to the object.

However, as you place the labels, you need to tell them which plane value they are to display.

The label isn't actually calculating the depths of the planes (that is why you only need one surface), it is just reporting the parameter value you tell it to use.

As the label is reading the parameter values, if you adjust them in the object (you could have stretchy hotspots in plan), the labels on the elevation will adjust as well.

You would need to hide the object in elevation (possibly in plan as well, by turning off the layer.

But if the labels are not set to hide as well, they will still show on your elevation.

It will at least be automatic based on the distances you set in the object in plan.

Barry.

Thanks Barry for the answer, 

Actually, after publishing my post, i realised that if i create a 3D object, labelling it would be a challange, beacause i have to set a horizontal ZERO level on the object it self, and label distance from that " ZERO level, it would be complicated using label, 

An object that shows it's own parameters would be easier like demonstrated by @MF BIM  in the next reply, 

Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional

Thanks @MF BIM for your reply and for sharing the object !! 

I just tested it and it works fine , the concept of showing object's own dimensions is great, 

i'm noobie in GDL, i just opened the object to discover the logic behind it, actually it can be tweaked to add multiple levels upward and backward, changing the text box appearance , font type, font size, measurement unit, 

I will try and share the result here  😀

Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!