cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Moveable elements/objects

genie
Participant

I want to create a custom object with different positions, but I can't seem to find how to do his online. 

The picture attached shows a wall that can have different positions in the model. For example, open or closed. This is exactly what I want to achieve with my custom wall. How do I do this? 

movable wall archicad.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly

@genie ,

To create custom objects like these, you will need to learn how to script in GDL.

I am not aware of any on-line tutorials (but then I am not looking), but if you do a search here I am sure you will find many posts about learning GDL.

You will find links or recommendations to various books and resources, some may no longer be available.

Basically, it is study the GDL reference guide and look for books you can purchase that might help you.

There is one free book that I think is still the best GDL learning source, even though it is a bit outdated now.

That is the GDL Cookbook by David Nicholson-Cole.

It can be a bit hard to find - here is one link to version 4.0 (the latest written) that seems to work ... http://www.mediafire.com/?v10c3glasr3ip34

There is also another book he wrote for Graphisoft - Introduction to Object Making ... https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~lazwww/cookbook/IOMWAC_GS.pdf

I can't say  ever used that book.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thank you very much! I will look into this.

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!