BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Project dependent request errors

concepsys
Booster

Hello,

I am having a problem with several commands when I use them in Master and then Check in Parameters Script.

lc = REQUEST ("Configuration_number", "", stConfigurationNumber) will print this error:

concepsys_0-1710020980738.png

if I use n = REQUEST ("CALC_AREA_UNIT", "", area_req), will print this error:

concepsys_1-1710021139665.png

IF GLOB_CONTEXT <> 1 , will print this error:

concepsys_2-1710021201493.png

and then:

concepsys_3-1710021225616.png

The object I am programming will run well in User Interface mode, but Parameters won't update. I believe it may be because of this problems.

Why are these problems? Are they not regular GDL commands, they can't be used in Master script? 

How to avoid these "problems"?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Jochen Suehlo
Advisor

The GDL Reference Guide says:

Request Parameter Script Compatibility

The use of most requests in parameter scripts (or master scripts run as parameter script) can result in unstable returned values, therefore should be avoided.

Compatibility up to Archicad 19: The use of most requests in parameter scripts (or master scripts run as parameter script) could result in unreliable returned values. Compatibility starting from Archicad 20: the following applies in parameter script cases:

• the request expression will always have 0 as success return value

• the requested values will contain a type-matching default only (empty string or 0)

Using restricted requests in the parameter script will also generate GDL warnings starting from Archicad 19.

To check the parameter script compatibility, refer to the tables below.: Legend:

grafic 1

works without restriction

grafic 2

works (with additional warning)

grafic 3

does not work: expression returns 0, while containing dummy type- matching defaults in returned variables (empty string or 0) - with additional warning

Jochen Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 14.4 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de

Hello Joachim, Thank you for your reply.
I have tested them and I confirm the results are not stable. In any interaction and depending on the code I get several reads and not all have the same result.
The difficulty is stabilizing the actual result.

So, what is the use of these requests? Debugging situations?

I believe I have seen this kind of requests in Graphisfot objects but they don't seem to produce the same errors. Maybe I am wrong...maybe they where other requests.

Jochen Suehlo
Advisor

Please look for this topic in the forum (there are also some orthers) about your issues:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/GDL/Deprecated-parameters-amp-variables-shouldn-t-be-sometimes/m...

You are able to use the REQUESTs in the Scripts which are marked in the Reference with a green checker.

Jochen Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 14.4 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de
Learn and get certified!