General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

Archicad 26 for Apple Silicon – Tech Preview launch

Noemi Balogh
Community Admin
Community Admin

Have you heard the news? Tech Preview for Archicad 26 Apple Silicon version is out! Check the news on Graphisoft Insights.

What is your experience with this version? Let us know!

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

94 REPLIES 94

Thanks. Installed ARM Version of Archicad 26.

I have. No issues.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

Hi, I did it. working fine.

Joash Halevi, Licensed Architect | Studio Pi
Mac studio MAX, 64 ram, 32 gpu.
Archicad 26.0 | Mac Os Ventura 13.0
Eric Smook
Contributor

I've been doing some comparison between a windows workstation (2 year old AMD ryzen with 32Gb ram and a RTX2060 graphics card) and a base model Mac studio.

It feels like the arm version is able to handle high polygon models much better. The whole experience is more smooth while navigating in 3D.

It would be interesting to know how it compares to the latest AMD and intel machines that are roughly the same cost as a base model Mac studio. I even think that the up coming M2 pro could be a great choice if apple decides to use that in a new Mac mini model.

Hi Eric,

We will update the performance comparison article on Graphisoft Community soon based on our internal measurements.

https://community.Graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/Performance-review-with-M1-Pro-and-M1-Max... 

Gyuri

rikhav
Booster

Edit>Reshape>Merge Walls command not working properly. Though it merges the wall, but the reference line of the wall changes.  Not only that, once the walls are merged, we cannot change the reference line of the wall there after.

Thanks for reporting, we will look after this issue.

Regards,

Gyuri

Hmooslechner
Rockstar

35 Sec for startup on old, 15 Sec. on startup for Arm-Version. Nice. On my MacbookAir (no pro) M1 16GB, i made 6 walls, one window, one little curtainwall, one terrain with hole. then i multiplied it in X and Y for 15 times and Archicad hang up - no response from the Computer - had to stop the processs.

What i would suggest - that my austrian lisence-nr would work also with this version - i only can tryout with no savings. Make my austrian SNR work - please - i dont wont to switch my account to another country-version.

Had the same issue with the 26-betatest...

AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia

I tried the same thing on my Mac studio and it didn't hang.

6 walls (generic wall)

6 windows

1 door

1 7800mm long curtain wall

1 slab

1 terrain mesh with a hole

In my test I tripled the number of copies and then Archicad started to slow down a little, but after a 10sec beach ball display it finished it and navigating in 3D was smooth.

To take it even further I tripped it again. So 9 times a grid of 16x16. It took over 2 minutes to complete the copy but after that it still responded smooth in 3D

When I look at the active processes during the copy only about 20% of the total processing power is being used. I hope Archicad will start to utilise more of the cores for operations like this for the final release.

I think I can push it even further, that only takes time to wait for the copies to finish

That being said, looking at the performance of a MacBook Air your test should work. Perhaps Graphisoft needs to do some performance updates to prevent it from locking up on a machine like. a MacBook Air.

@Hmooslechner, your AUT license should be working with the INT version of Archicad. You must have a version 26 license to the Tech Preview, of course. If it is not the case, contact your local support representative for further assistance.

Boldizsár Vermes
Product Manager, Collaboration
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Dear All,

We have published an article regarding the performance of Archicad 26 Technology Preview on M1, and comparisons with other Macs running Archicad 25 via Rosetta 2. Please check out the article here: https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/Performance-review-of-Archicad-26-Technol...

We look forward to your feedback on how the Technology Preview version works for you!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Dear All,

We would like to do some refurbishment to the article, therefore at the moment, it is not publicly available yet. As soon as it finishes, we will share the article with you again. Thank you very much for your understanding, and we are very sorry for the inconvenience!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Dear All,

We have made some corrections to this article and released it again today. In the coming weeks, we will add further test results for Archicad 26 Technology Preview on different configurations.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

mikas
Expert

Thank You very much. Interesting read.

If you still are going to do some tests, I would like to know how Apple Silicon M1 scales on Archicad 26 native version. I mean if you could do the tests against different versions of M1 on AC 26 native tech preview. Like how the reference Air comperes against Pro and Max versions. Mac Studio Ultra might be the most interesting to me, the top spec or maybe second top with 48 GPU cores. And with lots of RAM of course.

Thanks again for the article!

AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS

Will there be updates to the beta that will eventually incorporate Sketchup export so that we can use Twinmotion? Or will this feature not be available until the final Apple Silicon version? Since FBX is unavailable.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

We don't plan to release another technology preview version at this moment, so you should expect Sketchup I/O functionality in the final Apple Silicon version later this year.

Gyuri

rikhav
Booster

I have observed that sometimes the zooming is erratic on Archicad 26 intel version as well as on Apple silicon preview version.

The problem is it does not zoom, where the cursor is, but rather zooming happens sideways to cursor. I need to restart Archicad to stop this behaviour. I am using Logitech M650 Wireless mouse with their Logi options software installed.

Have you already installed the latest Build (3010) for Archicad 26? This solves an issue with zooming and panning. More info here.

archislave
Enthusiast

From now on, will you always have three downloads and update sections on the GS website? Windows / Mac Intel / Mac Arm? Or will the download for the Mac be a unified download and the proper installation will be auto configured for the type of Mac it is installed upon?

Archislave

archicad 16.0 US, iMac El Capitan

@archislave wrote:

From now on, will you always have three downloads and update sections on the GS website? Windows / Mac Intel / Mac Arm? Or will the download for the Mac be a unified download and the proper installation will be auto configured for the type of Mac it is installed upon?

I would be interested in @Minh Nguyen 's response, too.  My understanding is that once the Preview ends, and the official release is made in the 4th quarter, that it will be a universal binary.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

A Universal Binary will be great! This may be the wrong area, but how well does the intel version run on an M1 mac or does it? I was thinking of getting a Mac Mini M1 and install the Intel version to run in Rosetta 2.

Archislave

archicad 16.0 US, iMac El Capitan