General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

Graphisoft public roadmap - Follow-up conversation

Gordana Radonic
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dear Community, 

We're excited to have published our roadmap!

We'd love to hear your thoughts and questions. Please feel free to use this thread for discussion.

Graphisoft Insights announcement: https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Graphisoft-Insights/Graphisoft-public-roadmap/ba-p/375281

Public roadmap on the Graphisoft website.

Thank you.

Gordana Radonić

Community Manager

325 REPLIES 325

Yes. Along with our design departaments and integrated engineering inhouse departaments.

That is why we all have time to write here. Which we actually dont, because our PR department handles it for us. 

Of your list, i consider the first 3 as critical, specially manually updating things.  then the fifth and 4th last as the last 2 can be currently sort of circumvented with some effort, at least in my experience.

The answer of course is NO to all of the questions you arise.

Also, based on some comments i have read here, im beggining to doubt they actually have a workable list. And even if they do, they have completely lost direction on what to do with it, which is worse.

@DGSketcher wrote:

If we stop asking for these improvements it will never happen.

If GS isn't listening, it doesn't matter.

Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)

Come on guys. Lets not stop digging just an inch before the gold. Its not like we are flying to Budapest (as much as i would like to, they say its great) to annoyingly tap them in the shoulder until they listen;  or organizing some worldwide movement against sofware inneficiencies and unrealized potential.

No. We are just asking for very reasonable things, using a platform they actually created with that purpose (mostly) in mind, and i dont know you guys, but i do it from a very confortable chair.  

But one of these days i might actually get up from it! 

Lets keep asking. 

Hi Kamil, it’s certainly is good to see it from your perspective and thank you for your time. Could it be that many of you on huge projects are way too busy to contribute to the wishes forum ? 

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
NAAY = Not An Ace Yet
claudiuiancic
Contributor

Thoughts about the planned new Door/Window Tool

The Door/Window Tool element should allow access to the SUB-ELEMENTS of which it is composed, as follows:
- the emptiness of door/window vs. the actual door/window
- within the object it must be possible to have access to the settings especially for CLASSIFICATION but also for other PARAMETERS
- to be able to set different types of glass for the carpentry meshes (eg: safety glass on the part below 90cm and LowE glass on the upper part, etc.)
- to be able to set different CLASSIFICATIONS for sub-elements (as is the case with the balustrade/staircase), i.e. after classifying the HOLE as HOLE, the CARPENTRY as CARPENTRY (or Door/Window/Skylight/etc) we can classify window sills, handles, door leaf or sash, frames, etc.

arh. Claudiu IANCIC
Loving Archicad since 2005
MacBook Pro 16-inch 2021, M1 Max, 64 GB
Latest macOS and latest Archicad

@claudiuiancic wrote:

Thoughts about the planned new Door/Window Tool

The Door/Window Tool element should allow access to the SUB-ELEMENTS of which it is composed, as follows:
- the emptiness of door/window vs. the actual door/window
- within the object it must be possible to have access to the settings especially for CLASSIFICATION but also for other PARAMETERS
- to be able to set different types of glass for the carpentry meshes (eg: safety glass on the part below 90cm and LowE glass on the upper part, etc.)
- to be able to set different CLASSIFICATIONS for sub-elements (as is the case with the balustrade/staircase), i.e. after classifying the HOLE as HOLE, the CARPENTRY as CARPENTRY (or Door/Window/Skylight/etc) we can classify window sills, handles, door leaf or sash, frames, etc.

Is there a planned new Door/Window Tool or it this just a wish on your part?

The Roadmap doesn't seem to indicate there's any planned re-do of those tools anytime soon.

I mean, it's not even in the "Under Research" tab which is like the third tier of their Roadmap scheduling (after "Coming Soon" and "In Progress") which to me implies that they're not even thinking about it, let alone working on it. (I don't take the "Idea Pool" seriously because it feels to me like those were just random disparate wishes they culled from the Wishlist forum that had scored high, which they dumped in there to make everyone happy that had noticed the other sections are a bit to MEP/DDS/Structural heavy (....which they are))

Because I hate to break it to you, but people have been wishing for improvements to the door and window tools since forever, with seemingly no impulse or inclination to do so any time soon on Graphisoft's part.

But hey, I hear we now have AI to play with.

Not like it's going to help you design any better doors or windows for your project, though,....

Nah it's just a dodgy Stable Diffusion integration that has minimal features. They got it to work on one guys computer and posted to social media about it. 

You're better off learning SD as a standalone product. 

Versions 10 to 27
Metabox Prime-X P775DM2-G (Clevo),
GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM - G-Sync,
i7-6700K (8M Cache up to 4.2 GHz),
32GB DDR4 2133MHZ,
512GB SATA 3 M.2 SSD,
Win 11 64

OK, there is one door-tool to rule them all! It's free, it's all-embracing - but it's in german.

https://www.dormakaba.com/de-de/verkauf-support/digitale-planungsunterstuetzung/bim-von-dormakaba/bi...

But it is the tool we all need and want. GS knows this tool. It's made by the famous Frank Beister (hail to Frank, be praised!) and the door itself can be separat from the opening!

Surely it needs some improvement and further programming. And translation. But it is soooo close to be perfect. I use it regulary in ever project.

The best I've ever seen was CADimage Door and Window Builder several years ago (before they used an API). That single door and single window did EVERYTHING!!! And it was perfect. Of course, as it goes, all advancements go in the wrong direction and we have worse, tab heavy libraries.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Takis
Expert

Dear Gordana hello,

For better collaboration between Architects-Engineers and better SAF model and presentation I would like to suggest the following:

Add (horizontal and inclined) Beam Ends vertical and horizontal rotation in both directions.

Better to have (edges and central/center of section gravity) end-3D hotspots and drag them back-forward (attachement).

Also this applies to columns ends.

Add 2D plan view result of the above.

AC27 INT

Takis Apostolides.

Beam Ends Rotation.png

'Slanted Ends' are one – late – topic on the road map.

But yet, the option to bevel beams in horizontally plane is missing so badly.

In case of profiled beams... sometimes we can help ourselves by making a 180° turned profile... and we turn it back in the model...

... but that can not be the way... really not.

I've been so bold to add some to the image...
The end-cut has always to be a plane... but could then be turned even to a 'jack rafter cut'

snow_0-1701264726564.png

ARCHICAD for Future

archicad versions 8-27 | mac os 13 | win 10

Hello,

thanks for all clarifications, all of them are right and helpful to better understand the situation.

Takis.

Hopefully the Product Manager can see beyond a single cut angle. @Takis was probably suggesting that each hotspot could move independently along the beam axis to form a "compound" cut e.g. one where the cut on the Y axis is at 30 degrees and the Z axis is at 45 degrees.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Thank you for translating the drawing... now I understand, I think... 😉

So when the second angle for beam ends is mentioned... I just want to add this annotation, that it could be often helpful, if it's possible to type in the second angle not in relation to the beam plane but in relation to the direction of the first angle... ( difficult to bring this in words... hope it could be understood with this sketch...)

snow_0-1701360953280.png

ARCHICAD for Future

Think of a sloping roof framing rafter hitting a wall at a twisted angle (e.g. rotated about Z) so it isn't square to the wall. I am about to start a project with this requirement. At this point I can only think that I am going to have to use Morphs as I will need compound cuts at both ends. 

If only we had instancing... or a beam tool with compound cuts...

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

When I need such cuts... I try to cut with SEO...

..often there is a ridge or valley rafter that can do it...

ARCHICAD for Future

Takis
Expert

Dear Gordana hello,

For inclined beams and curved beams, I would suggest the Level Dimension Tool to get information about the top/bottom level at each point of the beam on plan, just like we have available for the terrain tool.

Also, the General Label does not give all the information about the levels.

It only indicates the bottom-lower and top-upper level of the inclined beams.

It should also indicate the top-lower and bottom-upper levels of the inclined beam.

AC27

Takis Apostolides

Adding photos.

Takis3D view3D viewPlan viewPlan view

How is it even possible that there still isn't a separation between the different GS products in the roadmap? It can't be due to technical limitations so either the roadmap is already so neglected by GS that we won't see any such improvements (like search across all stages, or a decent view mode) or GS simply feel that there is some benefit to the obscure...

@thesleepofreason wrote:

How is it even possible that there still isn't a separation between the different GS products in the roadmap? It can't be due to technical limitations so either the roadmap is already so neglected by GS that we won't see any such improvements (like search across all stages, or a decent view mode) or GS simply feel that there is some benefit to the obscure...

The question answers itself.

If most people filter the roadmap features by discipline, it becomes quickly apparent and obvious why they would feel they need to clump them all together.