General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

Shift to a subscription model - your questions are welcome

Akos Pfemeter
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Dear Community,

You may have already read the press release or the Insights post about our strategic shift to a subscription model. 

Here is a quick summary of the news:

BUDAPEST, April 2, 2024—Graphisoft, the leading Building Information Modeling (BIM) software solution developer for architecture and multidisciplinary design, today announced that, as part of its strategic shift to a sustainable subscription software delivery model, perpetual licenses will be gradually phased out by the end of 2025. This change does not affect the delivery of Software Service Agreement (SSA)/Forward subscription services to existing customers. 

Archicad perpetual and SSA/Forward licenses will be available for new customers through December 31, 2024, and to existing customers through December 31, 2025. Starting in 2026, Archicad will be available only through subscription. Active SSA/Forward contracts will continue to be serviced beyond 2025. Alternatively, SSA/Forward customers can convert to Archicad Collaborate subscriptions at the same price as SSA/Forward. This offer is designed to help existing SSA/Forward subscribers take full advantage of the Archicad Collaborate subscription, which combines award-winning Archicad for architectural design with BIMx and BIMcloud SaaS for fast, efficient, secure, real-time access to shared projects.

Please ask your questions and share your thoughts here -- Graphisoft's expert team will try and provide answer to all sorts of questions you may have!
Thank you.
----------------------

Edit by Moderator:  here is the link to the evolving information/FAQ page about this announcement:

https://graphisoft.com/convert-ssa-forward-to-archicad-collaborate/faq

Akos Pfemeter

VP Global Cross-Brand Sales, Graphisoft

286 REPLIES 286

Yep, but the SSA has the scope to increase far more than a Collaborate subscription: that has to stay close to Revit and will never inflate unless Revit does. SSA, on the other hand, has a lot of float to get much bigger and still stay below Collaborate...

If you think SSA is going to be anywhere near the price it is now in 3-4 years you're dreamin'!

b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup

@__archiben wrote:

Yep, but the SSA has the scope to increase far more than a Collaborate subscription: that has to stay close to Revit and will never inflate unless Revit does. SSA, on the other hand, has a lot of float to get much bigger and still stay below Collaborate...

If you think SSA is going to be anywhere near the price it is now in 3-4 years you're dreamin'!

Sure the SSA fees are cheaper than Collaboration, but I don't see them increasing to match just because they can.

At least I hope not.

If that ever happens, I will simply stop paying the SSA support and lock my licenses as they are.

Then should I ever need to upgrade, I will take out a new subscription.

The 3-6 year fixed price deal is a very good one, even if just to fix at today's cost for that term.

But problem is, you are then stuck with subscription, whether you want it or not.

I am pretty sure Collaboration fees will increase every year as well.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

@Barry Kelly wrote:
Sure the SSA fees are cheaper than Collaboration, but I don't see them increasing to match just because they can.

At least I hope not.

If that ever happens, I will simply stop paying the SSA support and lock my licenses as they are.

Welcome to my world. As an overhead cost, this year they crossed a threshold. The prospect of paying double in the near future is not happening here. As I have said elsewhere, it's not just cost, it is also the diminishing productivity, complexity & instability of AC. If AC was twice as quick I might still be interested at the subscription rate, but that isn't likely to happen any time soon.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Did you get an official email from CI on the 5th April and 9th April 2024 ? I did and it confirms what you have derived from the FAQ’s. SSA/Forward is being serviced beyond 2025.

I quote Central Innovations in our region, in part: “Active SSA/Forward contracts will continue to be serviced beyond 2025. Alternatively, SSA/Forward customers can convert to Archicad Collaborate subscriptions at the same price as SSA/Forward.”

I am not taking up that offer in my circumstances to convert to a subscription but others may decide to do so.

I hope there a no more inflated price rises in the future.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
NAAY = Not An Ace Yet

I got an email on the 9th, but not the 5th.

When CI get there info together, I will be having a chat with them to clarify exactly what will be happening.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

@Barry Kelly wrote:

Should you decide to leave the subscription, then you will revert to the latest perpetual license at the time you stop the subscription.

They can't send you back to 28 if you have been working with 30, that would be completely wrong.

Hmm, I'm not quite sure about this Barry. Per FAQ:

...customers may fall back onto the perpetual path with their licenses. In such cases, their perpetual licenses will be upgraded to the most up-to-date perpetual software – that is, to the version accessible at the time to SSA/Forward customers – albeit without the SSA/Forward coverage going forward.

This could imply that, at some point, the "perpetual software" that is "accessible at the time to SSA/Forward customers" can be different from subscription. We don't know for sure. They chose their words very carefully here. To be honest, perpetual software doesn't make sense, much like these FAQs...

BIM Manager
DKO Architecture - HCMC

I would assume that if you remain in the SSA support, you will still get the yearly version upgrades and all of the hotfixes that go along with them.

They would have to be kept the same as the Collaboration subscription updates, surely.

So, in my take on this, if we take out subscription, and then stop it, we will get a perpetual license for the version we are currently subscribed to.

This is why we need someone from Graphisoft to clarify these questions we all have (as promised).

It is simple really.

Question - If I remain on SSA support, will I still be able to upgrade to all future versions (28,29, 30, etc) ?

Answer - Yes/no

Question - If I switch to subscription and cancel in 3 years time, will I still have a perpetual license for version 30 or 31 - what ever is current at the time?

Answer - Yes/no

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Yes, that’s a more positive version of my take 😄 agree on GS having to clarify those points so that we don’t have to guess what their intention is in the next 3-6 years

BIM Manager
DKO Architecture - HCMC

The contractual conditions of SAA/Forward are clear and that includes upgrades during the period. SSA/Forward will continue to be serviced after 2025 and beyond. We will not be forced to revert back to lower version of AC with a PL as I understand. There is no need for scare mongering about this we just have to trust them on this detail. I’m sure it will be made clear in the contract if that was actually the case.

NAAY = Not An Ace Yet

Oh of course, shouldn’t be a problem if you stick to SSA. Previously we discussed what would happen if you decide to leave subscription program, which software version you would end up with, which is this very important question from Barry:

If I switch to subscription and cancel in 3 years time, will I still have a perpetual license for version 30 or 31 - what ever is current at the time?

BIM Manager
DKO Architecture - HCMC

From what I gather from the FAQ’s, is that it reverts back to AC25 in that particular scenario. I haven’t read any of those contacts so I cannot say for sure. Maybe someone who is considering a conversion to subscription contact can enlighten us about these details and conditions for returning back to a PL ?

NAAY = Not An Ace Yet

@mthd wrote:

From what I gather from the FAQ’s, is that it reverts back to AC25 in that particular scenario. I haven’t read any of those contacts so I cannot say for sure. Maybe someone who is considering a conversion to subscription contact can enlighten us about these details and conditions for returning back to a PL ?

If you have a perpetual license now, and take up the subscription, your existing perpetual license must be surrendered and you will be given a Compatibility License for version 25, so you can still work in old versions.

This is because you will also be given a new cloud license that can only work for versions back to 26.

Supposedly, you can only use one of these licenses at the same time (fair enough).

Again, it is unclear if the compatibility license will be a new software license, or if you have a hardware key (as some prefer - I do), will that key be converted back to 25 so we can keep our hardware keys (much better than software keys).

I am not sure why existing licenses have to be surrendered, unless subscription has to be a cloud license.

The question now that needs further clarification, is, if you stop the subscription, will you be left with a perpetual cloud license at that current version?

Or will that be cancelled, in which case your Compatibility License will need to be upgraded to the current version as when you cease subscription.

@Akos Pfemeter , can this please be clarified in the FAQs?

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

@Barry Kelly - The advice I received verbally from Aus local reseller was that if you cancelled your subscription you would be given back a perpetual license (whether this is a real perpetual, compatibility, software or hardware is unknown) and this would be compatible with the latest version available at the time of cancelling your subscription. 

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe

Yes $6357.97 incl. GST per annum per seat in Australia is approx twice the price of Revit, just don't see this making sense for anyone.

Regards,

Scott
MSI Creator ZP16, i7-12700H, 32GB RAM, RTX 3070 8GB

It definitely does not make sense at all 🤯

MinhNguyen
Advocate

Sad to see this announcement, although I saw it coming, just not expect it to be this early. All others have shared their (very much valid) concerns already, so without repeating those, my question is:

- How will the new cloud-based key be compatible with different Archicad language versions? We saw a question on the forum, asking about CZE cloud-based key not usable for INT. With multinational firms, this is not acceptable as we need different language versions for different markets. Will the cloud-based keys adapt to that?

Other than my question, I feel like the lack of information coming from GS is not acceptable. I'm sure that this has been in the plan for so long, but I guess GS themselves are also navigating through planning and communication, therefore not much info is available at this stage. I feel sorry for the partners/resellers who might as well be clueless at this point as we all are

P/s: a call with the local partner confirmed my thought - details are still being discussed and finalized, so please go easy on your local friends 🙂

BIM Manager
DKO Architecture - HCMC

My dissapointment level is high and growing. Much has been said already here and I mostly agree with each and every one of the given reasons. A broken promise doesn't make your clients happy.

@MinhNguyen's question about different localization versions compatibility on a cloud based platform will be a serious problem, as I have experienced myself working on an INT version with a GER template/project. The amount of time one needs to adopt all needed settings, translators, mappings, etc. is huge and needs a BIM manager experience user level, which is not acceptable even on today's perpetual license system.

If GS aims only for a localisation version limited interoperability on BIM enabled projects in the cloud, then they for sure are making a big mistake, as they will (again) fail to understand what their clients want and need.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

In addition to that, if the internet were essential for the BIMcloud license to function, the risk would be very high, and we'll not be able to work when the internet goes out. There are several occasions that could cause internet interruption, such as, maintenance carried out by internet companies, snowstorms, hurricanes, cyclones, earthquakes, wars, etc., added to some government agencies that always want to know in which countries the servers are located in before authorizing the use of such a software on their computer networks. Do the Graphisoft officers, managers, and Board members think about all these external factors? 

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11

Some time ago, while GS was hard at work with their so called structural module, i naively and starry-eyed requested graphic and audiovisual material in this forum, so i could show it to my structural engineers. My intention, of course, was to promote Archicad among them so they could adopt it in their Workflow and we could live like a happy family forever.

GS answer: we don't have any promotional material for that. 

All innocence now lost, my guess is GS employees, experts AND resellers are getting their info about the new suscription model from this very thread, making all of us fall into the realm of circular reference from which we might never escape

JaredBanks
Mentor

This is just one more disappointing move by GRAPHISOFT; one more blunder to overshadow what little highlights there have been in the past half dozen years. Maybe in the long term the shift will actually provide the average Archicad user with real benefits, but right now this decision just further erodes the user base's trust in the decision makers at GRAPHISOFT and the direction of Archicad in the coming years.

Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
JaredBanks
Mentor

I do have a question.

With the promotion to switch from perpetual + SSA to subscription, will there be a prorated discount for those of us part way through our yearly SSA? I just paid my SSA two weeks ago. Did I just get scammed out of $1,157.63? If I switched to subscription next week, did I just give GRAPHISOFT that money for nothing? If I wait until late December, did I pay for 8 months of SSA for the cost of 12 months of SSA? Has GRAPHISOFT thought about this?

Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome