BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

13x19 and similar size printers for limited Con Doc usage

Anonymous
Not applicable
Specifically interested in the Hardware/Printer options related to the following ....... Wondering if anyone has done printing of some "simple" construction documents on 11x17 to 13x19 paper on one of the current printers out there. I am looking at the Canon Pixma Pro9000 for doing some residential construction documents, but there are also models available from HP and Epson. I've gotten good responses from contractors, and the building department related to using this size range for con docs when it makes sense for the size of project (not compromizing readability). Most interested in "reviews" of ArchiCAD / Architecture specific uses of this Canon, or other Canon and Epson and HP printers. Anybody done this or have machine / manufacturer recommendations?!!!!!!!! Probably most concerned about getting quality line work and text with these machines that are more geared to photos; but, also want to use these to print out great renderings for my clients! Thanks ahead of time for responses.
5 REPLIES 5
Dwight
Newcomer
The studio has just bought an Epson Stylus Pro 3800 capable of 17" wide printing with eight colors. While this printer is aimed at the photographic market, it doubles nicely as a drawing producer. Ethernet connectivity with full status feedback.

Each color is individually packaged and there's an inexpensive maintenance cartridge to keep the juices flowing when you leave it on all the time. A drawback is that it consumes several dollars worth of ink every time you switch from photo black to matte black, so gang different job types carefully.

This is a fast and QUIET machine with a minimal footprint - in the $1300. range - but that is with $500 worth of ink installed. I consider it a bargain.

It also prints on rigid mat board up to 16" thick - printed the base for a sculptural model recently!!!
Dwight Atkinson
lagodue
Newcomer
I have been using an HP CP1700 printer for several years without any problems. The building department has no issue with this size, as long as the fonts are at least 1/8" min. (according to the NYC building dept.) Most of all, the contractors love this format!
In addition to the contract dox output, color photos on glossy photo paper are excellent.
It has been a few years, but price back then was about $500. A full ink cartridge replacement is pricey: 3 colors and black will cost about $125!
"Bob" - Church of the Sub-Genius
Graphisoft afficionado since 1993
Dwight
Newcomer
BTW: with inkjet, the paper type is crucial to achieving clarity.
Epson sells "Photo Quality Ink Jet Paper" that is clay-coated to have no ink bleed. Razor sharp lettering.
Dwight Atkinson
The HP 9800 gives good service.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
aahatimo
Newcomer
anyone using a color laser in these formats? 12x18" would be ok.
thanks,
timo
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Learn and get certified!