Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

2 monitors on Mac AC14 bug

R Muller
Enthusiast
Another bug having to do with working on 2 monitors on Macintosh:

I normally work on my laptop with an additional large monitor. The menu bar and dock are on my laptop screen, and the ArchiCAD model windows are on the large screen. When I need to edit text, the editing window is several inches below the location of the text, and sometimes it is even on the other screen. It is very hard to edit text, because I have to look hard before I can even find the editing window. See enclosed screen shot. The problem occurs with any type of window: plan, elevation, etc.

On a hunch, I just tried going to my system preferences and moving the macintosh menu bar from the laptop screen to the big screen. The dock remained on my laptop screen. Now, when I go to edit text, the editing window is right on top of the text, which is where I expect it to be. So, I suppose this is a work-around. This work-around also fixed the problem I reported earlier, when the explore mode in 3D didn't work unless the 3D window is on the laptop screen.

Bottom line: until this bug is fixed, any ArchiCAD window you are working in needs to be on the same monitor as the menu bar. Toolbars, palettes, navigator, navigator preview, etc. can be on the other monitor. Note that everything on your messy desktop will show up on the monitor with the menu bar. So, if you are going to project the model using this work around, with the menu bar on the projector screen, you have to clean up your mess if you don't want your clients to see it.
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
Did you report all of this to tech support?

Thanks for sharing it with all of us - especially the workaround.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
R Muller
Enthusiast
Yes, I have reported the bug to Graphisoft. I suspect there may be other 2-screen anomalies that are not yet identified, and will continue to post if I find any more.
R Muller
R Muller
Enthusiast
I am pleased to report that this bug was finally fixed, with AC14 Hotfix 4.
R Muller
Karl Ottenstein
Good to hear, R Muller. Some other Mac-only bugs related to working on a secondary monitor with a different resolution than the primary monitor are fixed in 15. Posting here in case someone comes across this thread during a search...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB