Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

24/7 VoIP help ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
ORIGINAL MESSAGE DELETED HERE....
To: Ian Merwin
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:07 pm
Subject: Archi-NOOB Quote message
That is what this forum has been doing for years. Trust me...delete your post now to save face. If someone posts a reply you can not delete it. You can still edit it. Delete everyting except a . No body responds because we have work to do.
Ok my first and last day of posts here -- I honestly don't get it.... people would rather spend hours searching and pouring over posts (wasting WAY more time) than helping each other in real time...

All I can say is WOW -- welcome back to the dark ages....

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, Please hear what I'm TRYING to say....
AND PLEASE IF YOU HAVE THE TIME.... READ IT COMPLETELY/CAREFULLY.

First of all and most important --

Please Forgive me for any rude, insulting remarks I made yesterday....
I have no excuses... and for whatever reason it just ticked me off

It was a very simple - very casual (at first) statement --

I was just thinking out loud (forgive me for that too-- wrong topic to
post in -- I know -- but I thought New Users could relate)...

AND for the record I did NOT want or need immediate attention -
nor was I throwing a tantrum like a little brat cause I couldn't get my candy.

To understand where I was coming from:
I was irritated and deleted the original post because I honestly wasn't expecting the
"shut up loser - delete your post idiot" to be the first response...
then I reposted and got another flame with the whole IT thing... which is what set me off...

What I was trying to put forward (and i am HORRIBLY MISUNDERSTOOD) was just a SIMPLE concept and you tell me if it deserves all the attitude:

I was just saying wouldn't it be cool if there was a place you could go....
(LIKE A 'TEXT' FORUM) only with your voice -- a 'VOICE FORUM'
A place where cool cats hung out....
sipped their coffee, tea (or beer) and were able to TALK and share ideas in real time....
A place where you can keep working AND communicate that doesn't tie up your phone, your hands, or your time
(there is no denying that forums eat up tons of time with searching/typing/reading/posting
AND (most people can talk and work at same time)

It would be just like drawing/working and asking your co-worker sitting next to you a question.
Folks with tons of knowledge (like TOM) come and go and hook up from time to time --
and help the noobs (which I am) and NOT ON DEMAND...
just like going to a virtual pub or Starbucks with your buds and saying
"Hey.. TOM.... DOOOD.... glad you're here... what do you think? or can you help? or I got a question for ya?"

Thats all -- just a simple hypothetical question/statement.... no help or attention needed...

Really, I was just sharing a cool tool -- that I have experience with....
AND I have no financial benefit from -- I don't sell the software (actually its free) -
AND I was actually offering my TS server that I personally pay for --
so you guys could check it out (and I know you would love it...)
We actually use it to communicate with designers and Architects spread out over the US....
its a great and efficient (Free) tool for communication that we have been blown away with....
and I was just sharing it with you all...

Thats it -- I honestly didnt mean to tick anyone off (or for that matter -- get ticked off).
I was sincerely trying to share and be helpful and I felt kind of like a
gentlemen who asks an old lady if he could help her cross the street and
because shes skeptical of you she plows you one in the face wit her purse.

So again, from the depth of my soul -- I mean this:
Please forgive me....

Ian

EDIT-> and NOW I WILL take my own advice and shut up..... heh heh
TomWaltz
Participant
IanMan68 wrote:
AND most people can talk and work at same time
Uh..... not really. If you're really trying to work (concentrate), I can assure you that you cannot talk about a different topic at the same time an maintain quality in both.... probably neither could the people who sit near you.
IanMan68 wrote:
Folks with tons of knowledge (like TOM) come and go and hook up from time to time -- and help the noobs (which I am) and NOT ON DEMAND... just like going to a virtual pub or Starbucks with your buds and saying "Hey.. TOM.... DOOOD.... glad you're here... what do you think? or can you help? or I got a question for ya?"
This forum has 3042 members right now. It would be more like going to Times Square at New Years and hoping to run into someone you know than walking into a Starbucks. How would you ever get just one question through to a person trying to answer?

I think my other complaint would be that there would be no record of the answers/solutions, and the same questions would be asked over and over and over and over and over and over even worse than they are now.

Somehow the idea reminds me of a 1980's party line (1-900-Archicad?)... I suspect the result would be a lot of people asking "Can you help me?" and the answer being "No, can you help me?"

I realize you are trying to help, but this of solution really does not seem to fit the need of thousands of people looking for technical information to their own specific problems. Even scaling it downward to dozens of people would be chaotic at best,
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Heh heh... good stuff Tom... Thanks for the insight - most points you bring up are totally valid...

TS deals with most of them.... I wont beat a dead horse... to death...

Some are insermountable (redundant questions)....

But anyway.... If/when I get a working model.. I will invite you guys...

PS - Tom - I totally think you would be a riot to learn from.... "80's partyline" heh heh... great analogy....

*sigh.... now to go search the endless answers... for I am stuck...
__archiben
Booster
Ian wrote:
ORIGINAL MESSAGE DELETED HERE....
Bertrand wrote:
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
welcome to the forum ian. i'm not sure what the problem was but i'm sure you'll find most people (tom included!) friendly, knowledgeable and happy to help . . . once we've all got over the excesses of the silly season and are firmly back in the saddle after the holidays. and by the way:
Steve wrote:
That is what this forum has been doing for years. Trust me...delete your post now to save face. If someone posts a reply you can not delete it. You can still edit it. Delete everyting except a . No body responds because we have work to do.
Quintilian wrote:
Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish.
i leave you to draw your own conclusions . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup