BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

24/7 VoIP help ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
ORIGINAL MESSAGE DELETED HERE....
To: Ian Merwin
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:07 pm
Subject: Archi-NOOB Quote message
That is what this forum has been doing for years. Trust me...delete your post now to save face. If someone posts a reply you can not delete it. You can still edit it. Delete everyting except a . No body responds because we have work to do.
Ok my first and last day of posts here -- I honestly don't get it.... people would rather spend hours searching and pouring over posts (wasting WAY more time) than helping each other in real time...

All I can say is WOW -- welcome back to the dark ages....

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Im like a moth to a flame..... I can't stand myself....

What i was trying to say is posted here....

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=9106

Sorry if this irritates anyone....
TomWaltz
Participant
Give it a rest. This is your third post. If you work in IT as you claim, you know how cross-posting is frowned upon.

If no one has responded, take the hint.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dude you sooo have attitude...

I dont work in IT.... nor do I work for some huge fortune 500 company with an IT dept.

For the record I'am a designer.... I work in a variety of software products... For a SMALL family owned business.... if we need something.... YAY -- I get to figure it out....

And at times.... I RELY on FRIENDLY community members for help...
AND I try to help other when I can....

You my friend seriously mis-understand my intentions...
My heart is for the good -- and for NOOBS like ME who need help but ARE SHORT on time...

So why don't YOU give it a rest...(and maybe switch to DECAF)
My goodness... this has to be one of the RUDEST forums i've seen in a long time
Anonymous
Not applicable
Freelance Archicad Trainer/GDL Guru
Ok it makes sense now... sorry, im a little slow....

I see why FREE / REAL TIME / VOICE / STEP-BY-STEP help would offend you....
Dwight
Newcomer
You might want to hang out for a couple of days and see just how quickly someone from around the world will address a written query, whatever time it is made.

As for this being a rude forum, time will tell, but for the time being, I've never seen such an appropriate tag line as appears in your signature line.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I posed a question and the first (and only) 2 (now 3) responses were negative and basically mean.

I just asked a question... if you dont like the question... dont answer...

I have requested Djordje to remove my account/delete my posts... and have appologized for stirring things up...

You would think this was a political forum or something.....

And the sig.... it is profound isn't it?
TomWaltz
Participant
OK, so "Computer Jockey" is not in IT... maybe you've at least seen the Usenet and know to lurk a bit before speaking up?

The attitude that needs to go is "Give me as much free help as I need whenever I ask for it no matter what else you might be doing."

Yes, I charge people for tech support & training services as part of my business. Just as people charge for design services, engineering services, legal services, and auto repair. I doubt you'll see many attorneys providing free legal advice just because you called and asked or engineers sizing beams because the system was in place to do it all day.

Yet oddly, you willl see hundreds of posts here from me (and many others) that provide tech support, custom objects, and technical brochures. I've contributed here and expect a little courtesy, maybe even a little appreciation. What have *you* done?

Have you even asked a real question? Have you been polite about it? No, your very first post just demanded 24-7 help. When we didn't jump to do it, you posted it two more times. We're not your parents, and won't come quicker just because you cry louder.

It's true, this forum is not always immediate. It depends on people's schedules. Personally, I tend to browse the forum when I'm stuck in long meetings (Wi-fi rocks!), eating lunch, traveling, or just hanging around and have some time to kill. With enough people around the globe doing that, most problems get responses pretty quickly.

I'm not unique. Karl, Matthew, Dwight, and Link (among others) all do the same kind of consulting work. We spend our time here to share what we know with others when we have the time and learn a little ourselves.

As for non-consultants, do you think the practicing architects here on the board are interested in helping for free? They have their own work to do and probably are not interested in working the help desk.

It just really bugs me when those of us who volunteer our time here are told we're not doing enough. It's bugs me even more when it comes from someone who has not contributed a thing here except demands for more effort from those of us who do contribute.

On the other hand, I love watching new members learning and being able to lend a hand themselves. I was one of them. I still remember asking dumb questions around here just a few years ago... but never once did I demand an answer or more help. I can think of a few other current members who have really grown and learned here....

We can be perfectly polite as long as we're shown a little professional courtesy BEFORE you start making demands for 24-7 instant help.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I do think as also being a newbie to AC (less than 2 months) that Ian's comments highlight the fact that Graphisoft has not provided adequate documentation that can be referenced easily on the desk to be able to keep the new user going. I've used many sophisticated software programs for over 20 years, but learning AC has really been tough. If we don't have someone working right alongside us who knows AC, then everything stops when we run into a dead end. This is also extremely frustrating and creates a lot of tension when trying to get work done.

Frankly, there have been a number of times when we wanted to toss AC out the window due to an overwhelming sense of aggravation, which is REALLY too bad, since I'm still convinced that AC is the best of the software programs that have embraced the new 3D technology for architecture (residential in our case). I've personally tried Softdesk (absolutely hated it), ADT (much too cumbersome) and Datacad (2D drawings are not linked to 3D model and program is not as "intelligent"), FormZ (which we love but is not a CAD program and gets very tedious when compared to some of the features of AC).

Thanks to both our reseller's support (also not always immediately available as they're trying the help others) and the regular forum contributers, we're still on board.
Djordje
Ace
Ian,

Let's all chill a bit ... have a long tall cool one. I am just sipping my morning coffee here in Dubai, it is a very sunny day outside (surprise, huh?) and I am not going to work, as the emirate is in mourning - the ruler died yesterday.
Ian wrote:
I posed a question and the first (and only) 2 (now 3) responses were negative and basically mean.

I just asked a question... if you dont like the question... dont answer...
Tom made his points that I basically agree with - this is a voluntary forum, and people help each other on voluntary basis. This is the closest to 24/7 helpdesk you will find.

What I fail to find is your exact problem. As you deleted your original post(s) I can't see what is it. If nobody answers, that means either that your question is not clear, or that the problem you are facing is beyond our powers.
Ian wrote:
I have requested Djordje to remove my account/delete my posts... and have appologized for stirring things up...

You would think this was a political forum or something.....
You have not stirred anything up except a small clarification that, although this forum is hosted by Graphisoft, it is run by the users, again, I repeat, on VOLUNTARY basis, so one can not demand attention.

Therefore, there is no reason to leave, but all the reasons to cool down and to remember this episode as one of the storms in the teacup (oh, we had a LOT of that!!!) someday in the future when you will provide a tip to someone who is running into a deadline at 2AM - while it is 9AM where you are and your thinking is clear.
Ian wrote:
And the sig.... it is profound isn't it?
It is quite good ... so apply its advice.

Now, what was your exact problem? No 24/7 help?

The right address is your ArchiCAD reseller and Graphisoft US. If anyone should provide that service, they should. If they don't, you can complain here, and ask for it in the wishlist. Just don't expect people from all over the world to jump when you yell

Take it easy!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!