Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

A Dark 3D View

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I am having problems with my 3D view.

When I first clicked on the 3D tab, my 3D view is pretty dark although I can still see the blue lines in the model. When I click on the right button, scroll or drag the model around then I can see the 3D view normally. I had set the sunlight settings to sunlight: 50; contribution to ambient: 30 and ambient light: 40 but the results were still the same: a dark screen.

I had also uninstall and re-install Archicad and the results are still the same.
8 REPLIES 8
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

I could reach the same result, by changing the 3D style settings to black model over black background (see attached). It is a long shot (since you say everything is fine when you rotate) but it is worth checking. go and change settings in 3D styles, and see if any of them make a difference (maybe changing the engine from OpenGL to vectorial).

If that is not it, then please check the following for me, so that we can narrow this down:
  • Do you see that even in brand new files created from the ARCHICAD 22 template, or only in a specific project?
  • Do you see the same on other computers?
  • If you go to Options>Work Environment>Advanced Redraw options, do you see a warning message with a yellow triangle?
  • If you change the 3D engine to vectorial, does it appear normally (or at least visible)?
  • If the above doesn't really help, could you make a quick screen recording video for me, showing how it looks when you rotate/right-click/etc.?
Thanks,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Anonymous
Not applicable
My 3D style setting is default, not black model over black background. But when I changed the engine from OpenGL to Vectorial, it worked! I can see my screen in 3D again although it doesn't seem to be the same as OpenGL. Thank you so much!

Although, what is the difference between OpenGL and Vectorial?

-Its the same for all ARCHICAD22 files
-Not the same on other computers as it works on my laptop
-There are no warning massages with a yellow triangle

ps i cant seem to attach the video
Anonymous
Not applicable
Looks like a graphics driver issue to me, what are your computer specifications/ OS etc? You should add this to your signature

Regards
Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
I do have the same problem with my 3d view, using archicad 22, the 3d view is completly dark and when i orbitate the view it goes normal.

does anyone can help me please, my computer specifics are:

LAPTOP MATEBOOK D

PROCESSOR AMD RYZEN 5 2500U with Radeon Vega
Mobile Gfx 2.00 GHz

Ram - 8.00 GB

Os - Windows 10
Barry Kelly
If you switch your 3D engine from OpenGL to Internal (vectorial) engine, does the model reappear?
If so it is an OpenGL issue - there has been a few posts here about it already.
You will need to upgrade (or possible even down grade) your video drivers.

Also in version 22 your video card needs to support OpenGL version 3.2

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
ZermenoLuque wrote:
LAPTOP MATEBOOK D

PROCESSOR AMD RYZEN 5 2500U with Radeon Vega
Mobile Gfx 2.00 GHz

Ram - 8.00 GB

Os - Windows 10

Graphisoft advises that you avoid integrated GPUs... it does support the required OpenGL version so that would probably be your best bet.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello! This is my first post on this forum, so I'm sorry if this is not the place for this question.
I have an education license for Archicad 23, but I've experienced this same issue with the 3D visualization. It's dark when I enter the tridimensional view, but it appears as I orbit around my model, or when I switch to the vectorial view.
I don't understand anything about computers, and as english is not my first language, I wasn't able to permanently correct my issue.
I bought my laptop, an HP Envy x60 Convertible 15m-cp0xxx, in January 2018. Apparently, its driver is an AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics.
Is this an insufficient driver? I'm asking because I'm in my first year as an Architecture student, and if I'm gonna have to change my laptop I'd have to start saving some money (also I don't really know the difference between the vectorial and OpenGL view, so I don't know if mine's a big issue).
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
b844630 wrote:
Hello! This is my first post on this forum, so I'm sorry if this is not the place for this question.
I have an education license for Archicad 23, but I've experienced this same issue with the 3D visualization. It's dark when I enter the tridimensional view, but it appears as I orbit around my model, or when I switch to the vectorial view.
I don't understand anything about computers, and as english is not my first language, I wasn't able to permanently correct my issue.
I bought my laptop, an HP Envy x60 Convertible 15m-cp0xxx, in January 2018. Apparently, its driver is an AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics.
Is this an insufficient driver? I'm asking because I'm in my first year as an Architecture student, and if I'm gonna have to change my laptop I'd have to start saving some money (also I don't really know the difference between the vectorial and OpenGL view, so I don't know if mine's a big issue).
Hello,

Welcome to the forum! Yes, this is the right place to start!

Thank you for your question and I am very sorry about the issue!

I have never seen this issue before, so I'm wondering if this happens even with a brand new file, or with some/one file only? If the problem is file-specific, could you share the file for a closer look? Please let me know if you need a secure place to upload the file to us.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT