Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC 22 crashes when opening AC 21 .pln

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I just downloaded AC 22 over the weekend, and it opens a new project just fine. But, when I open an AC 21 project, it crashes within the first few minutes every time.

Does anyone have an idea what this is about?
Thanks very much.
5 REPLIES 5
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello craigdixon,

Generally that should work. Maybe your AC21 file is corrupted?

Open an empty template in AC21, save it, and try to open it in AC22 to see if it works. If it does, then it must be because of the other project file.
Try opening the AC21 file in AC21 with Open&Repair (even if it says "the project was healthy", it can fix some things sometimes), and see if it works afterwards.

If Open&Repair doesn't help, please send in the ARCHICAD crash report, save the Bug ID you get, and send me the AC21 project and the Bug ID, so that I can take a look.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Luka Tomori
Newcomer
Hello, I have the same problem.
I have made a fresh empty template as you have advised and it crashed.
Bug report: AC22-2018-07-19-09-33-07-2216

What I have noticed is when I try to open a file (.pln or .tpl) form the window that appears on the start of the program (Start Archicad 22) it crashes.
The workaround that works is to open a blank file by choosing "Create new project" instead of "Open a Project" and then instead of choosing "Template", check the "Last Project Settings". It opens a completely blank AC22 file.
Than from this file with "Open" command browse to the same .tpl or .pln file that used to crash AC22 before and it opens without problems!

Hope this helps,
Luka
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello Luka Tomori,

Based on the crash report you sent, your crash should be about that ARCHICAD 22 is crashing whatever you are trying to open. The original report in this thread is that ARCHICAD 22 is only crashing when you try to open an AC21 (or older) file, but it works with AC22 files.

Is that your problem as well?

PS. Thanks for the Workaround, that's really helpful!

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

GRAPHISOFT

Luka Tomori
Newcomer
Using this workaround I am continuing working on my AC22. That means all my latest files have been saved as AC22 and are still causing problems when being opened without my workaround:(
I have downloaded the app which allows me to switch between my two graphic cards, but no improvement with either of them...
Also unchecking the Work environment/Advanced redraw options/ 2D, 3D Antialiasing doesn't help...
Cheers,
Luka
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Based on this the problem seems to be more severe than what a forum like this could solve. I think you should contact your local support team to figure this one out!

Please let us know what you found out.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

GRAPHISOFT