Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC 27: Very poor performance of migrated projects

runxel
Legend

Migrated projects have very poor, degraded performance, especially in 3D, making it unusable.

Copying all elements to a fresh file will be a smooth sailing however.

Open and repair brings no improvement.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
9 REPLIES 9
Mjules
Mentor

Migrating projects from ArchiCAD to ArchiCAD shouldn't be so embarrassing since it's about the same software. I got this kind of issues with my pln extension files when trying to migrate them from ArchiCAD 26 to ArchiCAD 27. It seems that the technology preview was better than the latest version released to that end. 

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11

Indeed, it's a shame.

I did not have these issues with the Beta nor the TP.... 😞

@GRAPHISOFT I submitted my files thru local support, too. I hope you can find the cause. Right now I'm back to AC 26 and won't use AC 27 for the time being.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
4dProof
Advisor

I have only done a few trial migrations, and only one over BIM server migration assistant. This is a bit disheartening. If it is mostly in 3d, could it be related to the physical based rendering setting? (mysteriously burried in the w/e under "experimental features")

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2

It seems that Graphisoft is moving forward and backwards at the same time.

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11

remember back in AC19, they coined the slogan "Archicad Faster than ever"?
Speed is one thing... I'd like a release with the slogan "more reliable than ever"

I'll take an extra 3 seconds to send/receive if it means I only got a crash 2-3x per year instead of per day!

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
Radek_K
Contributor

Also what’s going when opening a plan? The whole window shuts and reopens 🤷 

It true, the beta was performing much better.

The fact you can’t migrate properly projects from 26 is just beyond comprehension. 
I honestly don’t remember worse upgrade of AC. 

Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

@runxel this is definitely something we need to investigate and fix - asked our Technical Support team for a priority investigation.

Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT

Thank you, Márton.

Sorry for making a fuss here.

The local support could not replicate the issue, so they said they are not allowed to "go higher in the chain", which is kinda reasonable.

But I just spoke to them again, they kindly called me and we had a nice chat with the thing I'm writing here too:

Indeed there seems to be more about it. What had me thinking initially was that I had no trouble with new 27 files, it started with a migrated file. Copying the content into a new file (started with the OOTB template) was working fine, too. Stripping the "bad" file from all content, drawing a new wall, saving, closing and opening again didn't bring any improvement. So surely it's file related, huh?

Well not so fast. The issue got weirder: I tried my 3Dconnexion ... and with that the navigation was smooth(er) again. Which is baffling. So panning and zooming was lagging with the normal mouse alone. Then I had the same issue suddenly with AC 26, too. Never occured before.

With a bit of further testing it seems to me now as if running Archicads too long (as a workaround for another issue I just close the file, but never the app itself), or running 27 next to 26 (both no TW) would bring the perf issue, but take that with a grain of salt.

I will keep an eye on it.

4dProof
Advisor

I've been experiencing some weird freeze-ups and file issues in AC27 lately as well. Whenever I open a new instance of AC, all viewpoints are basically frozen. Zoom extents, zoom to selection, pan, etc. do not work. The only way to break it free is to restart my computer. So basically, every time I need to open a new file, I have to restart first; which also means I can not open multiple instances of AC (which is kind of a critical part of my regular workflow)

TBH, kind of disappointed with the performance of the new release so far...