Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC10 Converter? Very confusing instructions

rob2218
Enthusiast
So...Iv'e been asked by a client to download this AC10 converter.
I went to the GS site, downloaded the zip file, but...then from there what needs to be done?

I'm using Windows10.
I see that the zip contents have a HUGE amount of folders in them?
How do I use all these folders and files to convert a PLN coming from AC10 to AC20?

Very confusing the instructions.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
6 REPLIES 6
Sam Wheatley
Contributor
I'm Having the same problem, trying to convert a file from AC 6.5. Also find it confusing!
ArchiCad 26 US

IMac Pro

iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 16 GB

NIVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB
rob2218
Enthusiast
I'm not sure why instructions (any instructions) can't just be written as:

1. "Go to upper left corner and click "FILE".
2. Go to pulldown (XYZ) and click (ABC)....etc...

Instructions are written by people who have NO CLUE how to convey information to another person.

it's not that difficult guys. Really....If instructions were done right...many many questions, posts, replies, explanations in general could be avoided.

Hubboy....is it the end of the week yet?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Karl Ottenstein
The first FAQ notes that when you unzip, you'll have a ready-to-use app package to put in your Programs folder (Windows) or Applications (Mac).

It should look just like any other ArchiCAD installation folder... in other words, you should see an ArchiCAD.exe (or ArchiCAD.app) file of some kind in the main folder. Double click it to launch AC 10 'converter edition' - open your old file, convert libraries or whatever as usual, and save the file as an AC 10 file...which can then be opened in a newer release.

I guess you were looking for some magic file converter ... but it is just the normal AC process of opening an old version and saving it as a new file. The 'converter' is a full version of ArchiCAD.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rob2218
Enthusiast
THANK YOU KARL!
What I was looking for is a better explanation of the "converter" from GS but you did a nice job of explaining it to me pee-sized brain such as mine.

I'm not sure what the processes are for conversion from older version (AC6, 8, 10..etc..).

Seems more and more files are coming from older versions and we need a better way to convert other than...."Missing Object XYZ, here's dot of death for you"....thank you very much.

I wasn't looking for any magic wand...just trying to find a better way to avoid these very annoying AC8 convert to AC20 migration, etc... process. it's a bit of P.I.T.A.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Karl Ottenstein
You're welcome; it is confusing!

Unfortunately, the best way to convert projects is if people save as a PLA (all lib parts embedded) when they shelve the project. But, I suspect almost nobody takes the time to do that ... being just glad the project is over and swamped with current work. Lacking that, the only way to really resolve the missing object 'dots' is to find the original libraries if at all possible. The early versions did not have 'migration libraries' in the subsequent versions, and of course if a firm had non Graphisoft library parts (purchased, downloaded, created by them) - and you don't have the PLA (no embedded libraries in 6.5 and 8, e.g.) - then they'll have to find an old disk with those library parts. PITA as you say.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Karl wrote:
Lacking that, the only way to really resolve the missing object 'dots' is to find the original libraries if at all possible.
Here is a page with older libraries (4.55 - 9.0), USA version:
Old ARCHICAD Libraries for the USA language version

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14