Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC15, 2 MACHINES ONE NETWORK BUT ONLY ONE CAN OPEN THE FILE?

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, So i posted a while back about having an issue with opening drawings that worked the day before. it would happen on both my machines that were built with the same parts at the same time. well now i have a third machine that was built way before those other two. that machine can open every file every time with out fail. the difference between the two are pc1 (the one that the file wont open on) has a tri core @ 3.1 with 4 gig of ddr3 and the other one pc2 (the one that always can open the files) has a quad @ 3.6 with 8 gig of ddr3. if i use pc2 and delete the sections and section layouts on drawing 1 then it will work on pc1. however on an alternate drawing(drawing 2) i do the same thing and it still wont open on pc1. on drawing 2, if i make two copies and delete all of the model in one and all of the layouts in the other then they both open on pc1. the first time this happened i merged my file to get it back as i didnt have pc2 yet. that same file that was working, later went back to not opening. So i am at a loss as to how to make every file work on pc1 everytime. otherwise i will have to go back to ac14

EDIT: EVERYTIME AC15 FREEZES WHEN OPENING THESE DRAWINGS IS AFTER THE LIBRARY IS LOADED AND IT FREEZES WHEN LOADING THE MODULE :COPY OF HEADER:
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Check also if you have the same update

Regards, Ede
Anonymous
Not applicable
same update? could you be more specific?

edit: if you mean version number and library number in the license info, then every thing checks out
Karl Ottenstein
Your past and present report are the only I've ever seen of something like this.

So, it seems likely to be something related to your custom PC configuration, which would typically not be something Graphisoft support would handle. However, the big question is did you contact support last time or this time? They would likely have requested a 'support package' from you to analyze to see if they could detect something amiss... or at least the file itself.

If not, that is step one.

Here, you should include in your signature (click the light gray text 'Profile' link at the top of this page) the specs on your system - notably the version of the OS, memory, and graphics card.

When you say opening 'fails' ... is there a message? Is there a crash dump or log? Or does AC open with a blank project? Or simply disappear from your screen? ??

It seems unlikely that the graphics card/driver would have anything to do with what is happening, but depending on when/how the file 'fails', it could be.

Since you say you 'built' your machines, I assume that somebody customized Windows for you. There are internal settings that control how disk caching and more is handled which can improve system speed at the cost of data integrity. I have to wonder about stuff like that whenever I hear about custom machines...

Sounds pretty frustrating though! 😞

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I WILL GET ALL MY INFO TONIGHT FOR MY SIGNATURE, AND WHEN IT OPENS ARCHICAD FREEZES AND WINDOWS SHUTS IT DOWN. IT DOES GENERATE A LOG OF SOME SORT MOST OF THE TIME, FROM WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE THOUGH IT WILL BE EASIER FOR ME TO JUST SCRAP 15 SEEING AS MANY OTHER PEOPLE ARE HAVING ALOT OF ISSUES. PLUS I HEAR THAT THE EVEN NUMBERED RELEASES ARE ALWAYS BETTER 14 SEEMS TO RUN SMOOTHER TOO
Karl Ottenstein
thepsyntyst wrote:
IFROM WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE THOUGH IT WILL BE EASIER FOR ME TO JUST SCRAP 15 SEEING AS MANY OTHER PEOPLE ARE HAVING ALOT OF ISSUES. PLUS I HEAR THAT THE EVEN NUMBERED RELEASES ARE ALWAYS BETTER 14 SEEMS TO RUN SMOOTHER TOO
This is BS about even/odd releases, much less 15 having more problems than 14.

15 has had hundreds - as in MANY hundreds - of bug fixes over 14 and earlier. In spite of known issues with 15, none of which seem to apply to your situation, 15 is a wiser choice for the majority of people because of these bug fixes. Most of the critical issues that I'm aware of for 15 involve Teamwork, and you appear to be doing solo projects.

Again, please contact Graphisoft US support to share your logs, file, etc.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
just wanted to let everyone know what was wrong. i had amd tri cores in my machines that couldnt open files, well i unlocked one to be a quad and replaced the other since it couldnt be unlock and bingo no more issues. so moral is dont buy a tri core if you want to run archicad
nideKer
Contributor
thepsyntyst wrote:
just wanted to let everyone know what was wrong. i had amd tri cores in my machines that couldnt open files, well i unlocked one to be a quad and replaced the other since it couldnt be unlock and bingo no more issues. so moral is dont buy a tri core if you want to run archicad

Hello guys,

I have the same problems (bug!?) with AMD tri core processors on many PC's with different configurations.
I cant add raster image (5015х3490 - 2500x1700 jpg, tif, png, pdf - doesn't matter) in ArchiCAD 15 (3267).
When I trying to put a picture in ArchiCAD the program freezes whithout any bug reports or so (http://cadstudio.ru/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=27230.0;attach=18734;image)
If I trying to open a file with that picture (saved on AMD x4 cores PC, for example) - the same result.

(http://cadstudio.ru/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=27230.0;attach=18732;image)

But when 4th core unlocked - all right (!?)
(http://cadstudio.ru/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=27230.0;attach=18730;image)

It repeated on all AMD x3 processors, regardless of the configuration (videocard, mainboard, or so), in my office we have a 3 PC with the processor AMD x3.

ArchiCAD 15 (3267), TripleCore AMD Phenom II X3 Black Edition 720

PS: Is it GS or AMD bug?
nideKer
Contributor
nideKer wrote:
ArchiCAD 15 (3267), TripleCore AMD Phenom II X3 Black Edition 720
PS: Is it GS or AMD bug?
The problem has solved by Hotfix#2 (Build 3602)!

Cheers!