BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC20: Cinerender 95% RAM usage instead of CPU?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just tried rendering in AC20, after a few seconds my PC freezes up, I manage to eventually stop the rendering process...

I open up task manager to see what is going on, did another test, the RAM usage goes up to 3GB+ of use from Cinerender? and almost no use of the CPU?

What is going on here? Cinerender is a CPU based rendering engine right?

I tested a render in AC18 to be sure I am not going insane, it is completely fine, Uses a lot of CPU and hardly and RAM.

Is this a known issue or is there any fix for this? I desperately need to be able to render on AC20 so this is a big problem for me.
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
UPDATE:

I tried testing it again.

Ive noticed Cinerender seems to be doing fine for the GI calculations, but as soon as it get to the Preparing... 0.0% it goes and swaps from 95% CPU to 99% Memory. I saw memory get as high as 10GB usage this time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
Not applicable
FIXED:

So, it turns out after checking everything, I had grass turned on, and quite a large mesh with grass on it, so that seems to be what was causing these issues.

Since updating I didnt consider grass being on as I pretty much only turned it on when I wanted it which was very rare.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Ah, mystery solved, I just replied to your other post

The grass feature is best used in small areas, yep!

If you want to use it, what I've done in the past is make a single morph plane on the bit up close to the camera with a grass surface that has the feature and use a grass surface without the feature on the mesh.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!