Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Apple M2 Ultra or M2 Max running ArchiCAD 26 w/ Ventura OS

Duane Meyers
Booster

Are there any performance issues or conflicts with AC26 and an Apple running the M2 Ultra or M2 Max?

6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein

I cannot imagine why there would be?  M2 Max is great... M2 Ultra should be better 😀

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Karl are you running M2 Max? If so what version of ArchiCAD are you running and what MacOS System are you on?

Read my signature 😀

AC 26 ARM  - most recent build (always)

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
sodonahue
Contributor

Hello. Seeing that it's been about a year from your original post about "Apple M2 Ultra vs Max". I am curious to find out what you ultimately went with and what your thoughts are. Did you purchase one over the other and do you have any regrets or wish you had gone another path (or are happy with what you did - what configuration did you end up with)? We are looking a getting the Apple Mac Studio M2 but are trying to determine if its worth it to purchase the "Ultra" at double the cost of the Max. Thanks for sharing!

This is the machine I ended up buying and have not been disappointed. It has performed better than expected. I was having issues with my 2017 iMacPro that was maxed out in terms of Memory and running Sonoma.... constant crashes and could not really pinpoint the cause. Originally I used my iMacPro backup Time Machine to load up my new MacStudio, but quickly determined that I had just pushed whatever gremlins I had on the old machine to the new machine. So then I erased the new MacStudio's hard drive and just installed software and files that were new and/or current. On the software side I started with all fresh installations.  Since Using the MacStudio I have had only one crash and it was caused by the ALL CAPS use in ArchiCAD, which I knew was a known issue, but it was a keystroke error on my part. Sonoma/ArchiCAD have since rectified that conflict. I am running AC 26 in order to finish up some projects I had in the pipeline, but will be updating to AC27 when they are out the door.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 2.41.04 PM.png

Thanks for the feedback, it really helps. Interesting that you note issues in bringing over your system from an Intel based iMac Pro and had issues when doing it from TimeMachine. I did the exact same thing recently but from my old iMac Pro to a new MacBook Pro M2 Max and had tons of issues with weeks of headaches. I did the same and eventually started over and did a clean install of everything and all the problems went away. I believe that there are a lot of issues migrating from an Intel Mac to and Apple Silicon Mac via time machine that are not documented well.

Cheers!