Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD 10 Won't Open ArchiCAD 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't get my recently downloaded version of ArchiCAD 10 to open my ArchiCAD 9 files. Is it because I am using it in demo mode? Any suggestions?
6 REPLIES 6
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
marklross:

I just tried opening an AC 9 file with AC 10 in demo mode (no dongle) and it opened with the attached warning, but it did open. What is the problem when opening the file? And why are you using demo mode, this will not allow saving or copying.

David
Open_9_file_warning.gif
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply. I am running in demo mode because I am currently taking an online course for architectural drafting to see if it might be a viable source of income for me. I have a student version of AC 9, but wanted to use the most updated version available for my system. The .pne files from version 9 are not recognized. ie. they are "greyed out" in appearance in the dialog box unless I change the drop down selection menu from "ArchiCAD files" to "all files." However, when I do make that change, I get this error message:
Karl Ottenstein
Your 'pne' file for 9 is an educational version file (vs professional 'pln'), and so that's likely the problem. The full version is supposed to be able to open EDU files, in educational mode ... but perhaps there is something unusual about opening an EDU file in demo mode.

What version of 10 did you download? Educational? Pro? Special 'file converter' download?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If I remember correctly, several years ago a FULL version could not open an EDU version file. Then at some point it was changed: the FULL version would open the EDU file but would switch to EDU mode as long as the EDU version file was open in it.
It is possible that AC 10 FULL still could not open EDU file.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Eduardo Rolon
I think Lazlo is correct PNE's could only be opened by an EDU version of AC and the last version that could do this was AC09 Edu.

archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=203619

archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=69011&sid=be2377ceecd1cd8a97b0b59c398c2773
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all for your helpful responses. I remember now that when I installed AC 10, I selected "Pro version in demo mode" instead of student version because I do not have a "serial number." I can't remember how or when I got AC 9, but only recently did I decide to spend the time to learn the program. I have almost completed the ArciCAD Training Guide by Thomas Simmons. My hope is to be able to get work as an architectural drafter. I need to find work I can do at home due to disability. I only started using AC 10 in the interest of having the most updated version that would run on my machine. As soon as I am convinced that I can generate some income, I will purchase the key for AC 10. To that end, I am currently taking an unofficial drafting course online.

I am not asking for sympathy - but if any of you can throw some work my way - or even help me by giving me a realistic drafting exercise to do - I would much appreciate your further support.

Thank you...