Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD 10 in Windows XP Mode (Windows 7 Pro)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everybody.

I managed to install my ArchiCAD 10 in the "XPM" environment on my Win7 Pro 64bit PC. The trouble is, that when I start ArchiCAD, I get the message that

"It's not possible to run ArchiCAD in a terminal service client"

As from our official swiss reseller's technical support, I have been told that it IS possible to install it in XPM, even though it is NOT supported officially by Graphisoft.
At the same time, I read on this site

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Windows%207#ArchiCAD_10_on_Windows_7

that it is working seamlessly.

Where did I fail?
Thanks in advance!
F.
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
How do you expect a software that was released 4 years ago to run perfectly on an operating system released 3 years later? Win7 did not exist when AC10 came out so how could the software be written in a way to run perfectly.

You can try one thing:
uninstall Java in Win7, install the Java that comes with the AC10 installation CD. That solved problems before.
Before giving this impolite answer my dear Laszlo, you should question "how do you expect" me to raise the money every 3 years to upgrade my AC version! Of course I am not "expecting the software to run perfectly", that would be illogical. I 'm just asking if anybody has any idea IF and how could this issue can be solved.
Anyway, thank you for the tip, but it didn't work out. Any other ideas?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Well,you started your post with this:
"It was a huge disappointment that AC10 does not install on Win7."
But I did not mean to be impolite.

As stated earlier in the thread, in Win 7 Professional, FlavioB could run the installer EXE file in Vista SP2 mode. I don't know if it also works in your Home Premium edition, though. Maybe you need Win7 Pro for that.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
But I did not mean to be impolite.
Yea, it was a miss understanding I am sure, thanks again
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ha! I don't know how it came in my mind after all this time to try once again to install my AC10 and...... tadaaaaa!!!!
With no effort, no changes, no customization, anything! Maybe it was a horoscope thing, lol.
AC10 is now installed to my Win7 PC and running smoothly (in regular mode not XP). The only thing needed was an update of the WiBuKey drivers.
Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
jimpap wrote:
Ha! I don't know how it came in my mind after all this time to try once again to install my AC10 and...... tadaaaaa!!!!
With no effort, no changes, no customization, anything! Maybe it was a horoscope thing, lol.
AC10 is now installed to my Win7 PC and running smoothly (in regular mode not XP). The only thing needed was an update of the WiBuKey drivers.
Cheers
Happy you!

Could you please describe "step-by-step" what you did and whether your W7 is 32 or 64 bit?

Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
FlavioB, my OS is Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit.

Unfortunately I don't have much to say about the successful installation. The last time I tried to install AC10 was before the 20th of June following laszlonagy's tip about uninstalling Java, but with no success. Today, I contacted my local Graphisoft office to see what could I do, an upgrade or something. I wanted to describe to them at what point the installer crashed, so I tried to install it again. I inserted the CD and just pressed OK to everything. The thing kept going and the installation was completely successful. As simple as that! I did NOTHING else in particular!

My guess is either an Windows update added something useful to my system (so fully update yours) or last Java I got is more compatible (at the time of installation I had installed Java 6 update 20 which I DID NOT uninstall it before AC setup) or some other's program installation added something into my system that helped. Revising my control panel the last month I have installed an ACAD 2010 trial, and Google Sketchup 7 (the free one). So if Java 6/20 won't fix the problem, try installing them too.

I wish you the best of luck, keep us posted with the result !-)
Anonymous
Not applicable
jimpap wrote:
FlavioB, my OS is Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit.

Unfortunately I don't have much to say about the successful installation. The last time I tried to install AC10 was before the 20th of June following laszlonagy's tip about uninstalling Java, but with no success. Today, I contacted my local Graphisoft office to see what could I do, an upgrade or something. I wanted to describe to them at what point the installer crashed, so I tried to install it again. I inserted the CD and just pressed OK to everything. The thing kept going and the installation was completely successful. As simple as that! I did NOTHING else in particular!
So you did *not* run the installer in some compatibility mode (Vista, XP) neither ran it "As Administrator..."

I'll keep you posted...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I verify that it was in "normal" mode (my version of Win7 does not have XP mode) but my user account I log in has Administrator (else I think you don't have the rights to install any software)
Anonymous
Not applicable
jimpap wrote:
I verify that it was in "normal" mode (my version of Win7 does not have XP mode) but my user account I log in has Administrator (else I think you don't have the rights to install any software)
Thank you for your immediate feedback.

Now as I left it installed in "Vista SP2 Mode", my only trouble is the one I described in other post, about not being able to view 3D. I see my 3D model only when using mouse to move around, as soon as I release mouse button, it stops being displayed.

Any help?
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes, I have the same problem with 3D view, but it doesn't concern me much as I never work in 3D, I only check some things using that view.