Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD 13 - problem with Pens and Colors

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been using ArchiCAD 13 for a week or so. Every time I open Pens and Colors, and edit a color, the color box goes to the back and when I OK or Cancel Pens and Colors, the whole menu at the top of the screen is disabled. I have to quit and come back in for the menus to return.

I've tried this on several machines in our office and it's the same thing. Also tried re-installing ArchiCAD several ways. Not sure what else to do except wait for a bugfix.

Any help is appreciated.

Intel MAC OS 10.5.4
2x2 Dual Core Xeon
3 GB Memory
AC13
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
Works fine for me. I wonder if it is related to your file? If you do a new from template, with the standard 13 template, does this still happen for you?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
It doesn't seem to matter which template or file I'm in. It happens every time. Sometimes it will crash. It just did, and I sent in a bug report...

Just installed ArchiCAD 13 on yet another machine. This one has OS v 10.5.2 (most machines here are 10.5.4) and it seems to be working fine on this machine. I will try and update OS...
Karl Ottenstein
Ken wrote:
...most machines here are 10.5.4...
All machines should be running 10.5.8

Soap box: Not picking on you, Ken, but as a first line tech support thing for anyone reading this: it has always amazed me when visiting clients to find that not only have they not updated their OS (free software updates whether it is Windows or Windows display drivers, or OS X), but how many have not applied the updates (hotfixes) to their copy of ArchiCAD. Updates = bug fixes. /End Soap box.

It will be interesting if this pen issue turns out to be purely an OS X update issue. Keep us all posted here!

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl-

I agree completely. We should all have the most up to date OS at all times. We had an issue with IT for a long time with large downloads tying up the network. Will update tonight.

It would surprise me, too, if this fixes it, but not sure what else to try at this point. There has to be something different on that one machine that works.
Karl Ottenstein
Ken wrote:
I agree completely. We should all have the most up to date OS at all times. We had an issue with IT for a long time with large downloads tying up the network. Will update tonight.
(Smiling that you're at a [large] firm with an IT department and that they seem clueless about how to perform updates - since your computers are so many updates behind. Don't feel alone - I've been to firms with IT departments that are similarly clueless.)

IT staff has to be tasked with updates as a high priority function. They also need to know that client computers in a (larger) office should not be downloading updates and using network bandwidth. The IT person should download one copy of each update onto the server and update every computer from that copy. All Apple updates are downloadable from a web link for such purposes (vs using Software Update). But, if IT doesn't do their job, s*rew 'em and have your department run the updates just so you can get your work done. 😉

Anyway, hope by some miracle that the OS update fixes the pen thing.

Cheers,
Karl