Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

ArchiCAD 27 cannot open older “legacy” *.pla files

David Collins
Advocate

As an ArchiCAD user since 4.55, I’ve been archiving projects in *.pla form for almost thirty years. These have always opened up perfectly in every new version up to AC 26.  I just tried to open a *.pla file from version 9.0 and AC 27 tells me I have to open and re-save it in an AC version newer than AC 17 (2013).

Fine. I can do that. But seriously, Graphisoft, what part of archive  did you not understand?

Archive fail in 27.JPG

Operating system used: Windows

David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Eduardo Rolon

Per Help files (https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/27/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0&rhmapid=#t=_AC27_Help%2F005_NewFe...)

"File format - Open and save versions Archicad 17 and up

To improve the sustainability and code of Archicad, Archicad 27 has dropped support and compatibility for files older than version 17 (Archicad 27 supports files with version 17-27). Therefore, older files can no longer be opened.

To migrate older files (prior to Archicad 17), open and save the project in Archicad version 17-26. Then open the project in Archicad 27."

I think this is not a good idea…

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Eduardo Rolon

Per Help files (https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/27/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0&rhmapid=#t=_AC27_Help%2F005_NewFe...)

"File format - Open and save versions Archicad 17 and up

To improve the sustainability and code of Archicad, Archicad 27 has dropped support and compatibility for files older than version 17 (Archicad 27 supports files with version 17-27). Therefore, older files can no longer be opened.

To migrate older files (prior to Archicad 17), open and save the project in Archicad version 17-26. Then open the project in Archicad 27."

I think this is not a good idea…

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon

For not a good idea I mean that GS eventually needs to make a file converter for 09-17 instead of forcing to keep installed 26.

SSA (or whatever is called now) can send the files to be converted IIRC.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

David Collins
Advocate

Totally agreeing with DG Sketcher (23/11/20) who said in the MEP 27 thread:

"Part of our investment is entrusting GS to curate our data files to enable us to reopen past projects and recover the data for further development. I have had a client who started a large project 30 years ago and has come back to me with a rolling program of changes and extensions. I doubt that position is unique especially with commercial projects. The ability to go back and reuse old project files goes with the territory of an AEC software developer. DWGs are still openable decades later. Our PLNs (or parts of) should not be treated as bitmap files e.g. frozen in time."

David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)

Setup info provided by author