Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD's use of Hardware

Anonymous
Not applicable
If my understanding of ArchiCAD operations is correct, during most 2D operation such as showing trace references, panning, zooming etc ArchiCAD can only use 1 cpu core (being specific not one physical CPU core but one logical processor. Why? I cannot understand it - for us (12+ staff) we waste huge amounts of time waiting for 2D redraw, just navigating around, and the very worst scenario is having something set as a trace reference which we do alot of to ensure the building is coordinated. We recently upgraded 2 machines and in my opinion spent a ridiculous amount of money on hardware (see signature) in an attempt to cure this issue and frankly it is almost no different at all. I can only think this is because the software was not designed to use all of the hardware available to it. What is the technical reason that in 2016 the operation of the software is restricted to use 3-ish Ghz of processing power when there is (on my machine) potentially 40Ghz+ sat idle? For such expensive software, sat on such an expensive computer - we are mighty disappointed. Particularly now that we have AC20 and have constant bizarre 'overwatchserver.exe' crashes and still no fix.

I would dearly like an explanation and please don't be afraid to give us a proper technical answer on why the software can't use more than one core. I hope to learn that this is something that is in development for AC21 because frankly the ££ we waste across an entire room sat waiting for ArchiCAD can only go on so long.
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am just downloading cinebench now and will hopefully get it to run at some point this week and will be back to let you know the results. Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Morning,

Have just run cinebench R15, scores as follows;

OpenGL : 138.39 fps
CPU : 1380 cb

Be interested to see how that ranks against other machines £ for £ build cost to see if we are getting value for money.
mikas
Expert
This year in August I completely tore down my iMac 27" (mid 2010) and upgraded from i5 to i7-870. My bold new Cinebench scores below as an attachment. You win by 2,8x.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS