BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD will not start up - did not install QuickTime...

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have installed a registered, student version of ArchiCAD and started it up today. The main popup screen on load shows up, then an empty gray full screen box behind it, but nothing else happens. I've left it there, because my cursor is acting like the program is loading something, for 30 minutes+.

I searched the forums and found a few other users having trouble getting ArchiCAD to run on initial launch, and one of them said the problem is with Quicktime.

I am a religious fanatic when it comes to installing software like Quicktime, made for another operating system, on my computer. Plus I hate extra codecs and bloated programs. So I will never, EVER install Quicktime, Real Media Player, or any other such thing on my computer. This should not be an issue because I do have Media Player Classic installed, and a few light-weight codecs that are able to play real media and Quicktime files with no issue.

My question is simply this... Is ArchiCAD not running because I did not install Quicktime, and if so is there a way to run ArchiCAD without it?

If lack of a Quicktime install would not cause the issue I described, or if there is a chance that the issue is caused by something else, could someone help me figure out what that is and how to fix it?

I'm running Windows XP on a laptop with the following specs:
Laptop: Gateway 450RGH
Processor: Intel Pentium M 1.60GHz
RAM: 2gig
Video: ATI Mobility 9600/9700

All the latest drivers and updates have been installed. Your help would be very much appreciated! I really want to start using ArchiCAD!
- EdenPerishing

P.S. A NOTE TO THE DEVELOPERS: Please remove any possible requirement for Quicktime or any other 3rd party proprietary format software from future versions of ArchiCAD. It's only costing you money to license it. Instead use Ogg Vorbis:
http://www.xiph.org/downloads/

Or Xvid:
http://www.xvid.org/

THANKS!
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
EdenPerishing wrote:
......Is ArchiCAD not running because I did not install Quicktime....
1. YES
EdenPerishing wrote:
......and if so is there a way to run ArchiCAD without it?
2. NO
Eduardo Rolon
---joke---

You know that Archicad was originally a Mac only Program just like Quicktime and its full of extra codecs like OBJ, ATL, MTL, DXF, DWG, 3DS.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Seriously? I have to install Quicktime to run ArchiCAD? What could it possible be used for, and why is there no option to substitute it?

The reason I don't like Quicktime isn't only because I don't like installed Mac software on my Windows PC, but also because the software is bloatware, proprietary, and it causes a host of issues with other codecs and software. I have hated having it on my computer the first few times I installed it. I always regretted it.
- EdenPerishing
Eduardo Rolon
Eden,

There is more to Quicktime than playing videos and that is what AC needs. From the Archicad wiki
QuickTime is Apple Computer's multimedia environment. In ArchiCAD, QuickTime technology is used for:

processing image files
creating fly-through and sun study movies
creating Virtual Reality Scenes and Panoramic Views
http://www.archicadwiki.com/QuickTime

You cannot use OggVorbis or Xvid for these types of operations.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
Eden,

There is more to Quicktime than playing videos and that is what AC needs. From the Archicad wiki
QuickTime is Apple Computer's multimedia environment. In ArchiCAD, QuickTime technology is used for:

processing image files
creating fly-through and sun study movies
creating Virtual Reality Scenes and Panoramic Views
http://www.archicadwiki.com/QuickTime

You cannot use OggVorbis or Xvid for these types of operations.
OK, well thanks for the information. I do beg to differ that Quicktime is the only solution to what you've stated. There's a whole host of freeware, open source, non-proprietary software out there that can be used to do all you've described, starting with Blender (can run all your interactive elements), Gimp (images) and Java (for virtual elements). Additionally there are a few hundred open source game engines that can do everything you've listed and be adapted to the purposes of ArchiCAD.

I hope in the future the developers either:
A. Create an engine to run the stuff they are using Quicktime for now

Or

B. Use open source non-proprietary alternatives to Quicktime.

Also the install of ArchiCAD should fail if Quicktime is not installed, so there aren't any more confused potential users like myself who install the program, skip Quicktime, and then find nothing runs.

I'll look for some alternatives to Quicktime and try those. If I don't get ArchiCAD to run I guess I'll just have to use another BIM.

Thanks again for all the replies and help!
- EdenPerishing
Eduardo Rolon
Eden,

Nobody said that Quicktime is the only solution but in this case it is a requirement

I use Blender and it is a 3D modeler that has a different focus than AC, GIMP is a clone of Photoshop and it nor Blender cannot be used to produce Construction Documents. AC uses Java for some of its stuff.

From the README that is placed along the installer under the Windows section
Other Software

QuickTime 7 or later and Java 1.6.0 or later are required.
Note: ArchiCAD installer will automatically install QuickTime 7 and Java 1.6.12 if they are not present on your computer.
It might help if the Installer does not run if it detects that QT is not installed but if I remember correctly during the Typical installation process it ask if you want to install QT and Java therefore this might be an option (warning?) during a Custom Install. I could be wrong about this.

I think you will need to get another BIM program because AFAIK without Quicktime AC will not run.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just a general update for anyone else interested...

I have installed QT Lite, found here:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QT_Lite.htm

ArchiCAD is loading up now. I will update this thread with any new developments or if I have any issues so you know whether or not QT Lite is a valid alternative.

On a side note, if I understood what I read correctly, ArchiCAD is using QTVR, which I believe Apple has canceled. This was a very poor design decision. Here are some alternatives:
http://wiki.panotools.org/Main_Page
http://os.ivrpa.org/panosalado/

In reality, if you are going to have a sun path system, you really need a good rendering and/or game engine. As I said before, you're best bet is one of those 100 or so open source game engines out there. I can post links if required - feel free to PM me or post with your request. I don't mind doing a few hours research if it means fixing a flaw in an otherwise excellent program - especially since you have been kind enough to grant me a 1 year license. Integrating a game engine into ArchiCAD solves all your problems and removes all outside software dependencies, firmly grounding the program in the 3D realm.

Something worth looking into, which might be expensive on the licensing side, but worth it in the end, is Unity 3D, which is already compatible with ArchiCAD. You might be able to work out something with the Unity 3D folks and code a future release of ArchiCAD with its own real-time 3D lighting/rendering engine based off the Unity 3D tech, which is VERY good, and BTW their license may also be compatible as they also offer a free version with only slight limitations:
http://unity3d.com/

Just some information there to chew on -
- EdenPerishing
Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
Eden,

Nobody said that Quicktime is the only solution but in this case it is a requirement

I use Blender and it is a 3D modeler that has a different focus than AC, GIMP is a clone of Photoshop and it nor Blender cannot be used to produce Construction Documents. AC uses Java for some of its stuff.

From the README that is placed along the installer under the Windows section
Other Software

QuickTime 7 or later and Java 1.6.0 or later are required.
Note: ArchiCAD installer will automatically install QuickTime 7 and Java 1.6.12 if they are not present on your computer.
It might help if the Installer does not run if it detects that QT is not installed but if I remember correctly during the Typical installation process it ask if you want to install QT and Java therefore this might be an option (warning?) during a Custom Install. I could be wrong about this.

I think you will need to get another BIM program because AFAIK without Quicktime AC will not run.
You posted the same time I did! You owe me a beer

The installer says nothing if you cancel the Quicktime installation. I ought to know because I just installed ArchiCAD in that way. If I had seen an error I probably wouldn't be in here bugging you guys
- EdenPerishing
Learn and get certified!