Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

ArchiCAD25 bug on Monterey

VladGoo
Contributor

Hello,

my ArchiCAD25 give me a bug when I exit from a project workspace since I installed new version, MacOS Monterey. Have you any idea when will come a update for Archicad who solve this problem or if it's ok to use the program in this condition? 

Best regards VT

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
timdelheyeian
Booster

Graphisoft US says that you need a version 40XX to run on Monterey. Graphisoft Germany says that such a version may be released next week. 

In general, Graphisoft US recommends to wait 6 months past the release of a new macOS before switching, which is impossible to do when you buy a new Mac as they can typically not be back graded. 

Certified Passive House Designer
ArchiCAD 26 (started with v4)
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Max, 64 GB, 32-core graphics

View solution in original post

Solution
Karl Ottenstein

@VladGoo  See this article:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/MacOS-12-Monterey/ta-p/309154

As @timdelheyeian stated, some of the international distributors have suggested on their web sites that an update may be arriving in the next few weeks.

It has always been ill-advised to update to a new MacOS until Graphisoft gives the green light.  As Tim stated, this is a frustrating issue for people buying new Macs, as there is no option to have them delivered with the prior OS.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
Solution
timdelheyeian
Booster

Graphisoft US says that you need a version 40XX to run on Monterey. Graphisoft Germany says that such a version may be released next week. 

In general, Graphisoft US recommends to wait 6 months past the release of a new macOS before switching, which is impossible to do when you buy a new Mac as they can typically not be back graded. 

Mhm... OK, I understand.

What does it mean 40XX? 😄

That refers to the build number. Each major version of Archicad (like 25 for example) has a build number for releases and updates. The current version for the US for example is build 3011. Apparently, it will take a build number 40XX (so a newer build with a higher number to be (more) compatible with Monterey.

Here is the original GS article: https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/MacOS-12-Monterey/ta-p/309154/redirect_fr...

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 08.45.07.png

Oh! OK! Thank you!

Well your recommendation is to downgrade to Big Sur?

That is what Graphisoft US tells its customers. However, when you buy a new Mac for instance, you may not be able to downgrade the macOS. 

Solution
Karl Ottenstein

@VladGoo  See this article:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/MacOS-12-Monterey/ta-p/309154

As @timdelheyeian stated, some of the international distributors have suggested on their web sites that an update may be arriving in the next few weeks.

It has always been ill-advised to update to a new MacOS until Graphisoft gives the green light.  As Tim stated, this is a frustrating issue for people buying new Macs, as there is no option to have them delivered with the prior OS.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

I have a new 16" M1 Max (on Monterey) coming next week. I will run it simultaneously with an older 16" (Intel on BigSur) and if I see anything of concern, I may post it here. I have run AC25 on an M1 MacMini (on BigSur) before and it worked okay. Since I updated that machine to Monterey, I have seen a couple of crashes.  Compatibility with Monterey appears to be the bottleneck here, as Apple's Rosetta seems to do a wonderful job translating Archicad 25 to AppleSilicon—as stated by Graphisoft support. 

According to that article, “This problem does not affect the migrated or new projects, these files can be saved and used without further issues.”

Has anyone tested to know what that actually means? 

Eric Batte
Principal, MG Architects
MacBook Pro M1 Max, 64GB
AC 6.5-27

I too have a 16" M1 Max showing up this week, so I will be sure to do plenty of testing and report back.  Such a bummer that my brand new machine will be relegated to a testing device!  

16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005