BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 18 SLOOOOOOOOOOW

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is anybody else having this problem, I am putting empty openings on a wall to simulate arch at the bottom of a wall that drops from the second floor of an old building built in 1923. Built the concrete railing w/colums/beams, then saved as an object and dropped in where needed.

Since then:

the file takes 5 minutes or more to generate an elevation... the changes don't show in the 3d window...

I have been using AC since 5.5 and NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM...what happened?

...is it el capitan?
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
If you don't have the Polycount 'goodie' installed, download and install/run it to see what elements in your project might have an extraordinarily high polygon count so that you can simplify them. Seems the most likely cause to me.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rob2218
Enthusiast
Can you point us to a link where we might find the "polygon count" goodes?
thanks.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
rob2218 wrote:
Can you point us to a link where we might find the "polygon count" goodes?
Start at Help > ArchiCAD Downloads, then follow the links for Add-Ons & Goodies. They are version and language specific.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
spoke to another AC18/iMac user who is experiencing SLOWNESS the same as I am...what happened...this is the result of either the last or next to last update that slowed the program down so that I can take a break while the elevations or 3d generate, it takes forever++++ to get an elevation to update. this is ridiculous....
David wrote:
rob2218 wrote:
Can you point us to a link where we might find the "polygon count" goodies?
Start at Help > ArchiCAD Downloads, then follow the links for Add-Ons & Goodies. They are version and language specific.

David
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Just looking at your specs two things come to mind. 1. Why not use AC19-it is much faster. 2. Could it be three monitors on an iMac?
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Karl Ottenstein
Archimamamia wrote:
spoke to another AC18/iMac user who is experiencing SLOWNESS the same as I am...what happened...this is the result of either the last or next to last update that slowed the program down so that I can take a break while the elevations or 3d generate, it takes forever++++ to get an elevation to update. this is ridiculous....
So, misery loves company, but not solutions, I guess. Did you or the other user check your polygon count? Are either of you using solid element operations between a lot of elements (or a few elements that are saved as an object and then placed many times)? Etc?

Also: your profile says you're running OS 10.8.2 - is there some reason you're not on at least 10.10?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!