Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 18USA Hangs at Splash Screen

sirduncan02
Participant
Summary: Archicad 18USA hangs at the Splash Screen, and also hangs at closing.

Long Version:
Yesterday my Archicad failed me. I regularly use 3-4 instances of Archicad throughout the day with different residential projects open. All comparatively small projects.

Yesterday, Adobe Reader said it had done an update and I needed to restart my machine, so I went to shut down all 4 instances of Archicad, as well as all other programs to do the restart. But none of the Archicads would shut down. I saved the files and clicked the red X like I always do. The projects closed, but the Archicad window stayed open. But I couldn't do anything with them - they were hung. A check of my task manager showed all of the 'ArchiCAD.exe' tasks as 'Not responding'. I had to use the 'End Process' to close them down.

Then I rebooted my machine. When I fire up Archicad, it gets to the Splash Screen and hangs. It doesn't crash - it just hangs. My CPU is not being pushed, my memory is not out, all the standard checks come back good - but it just hangs.

So then I went into troubleshooting mode and did/tried everything I could think of to find an answer, including doing a Restore Point backup to a couple days ago (in hopes it was the Adobe Reader update). Nope - Still hangs.

And this is where it gets interesting. The CodeMeter key is working - if it is not in, it throws the error. If the key is in, it goes straight to the splash screen and hangs.

So then I go back into my Task Manager and use the 'End Process' on the 'BIMx.exe' process and VIOLA!!! Archicad LOADS! But when I try to close Archicad, it does the same thing - goes into a hang status and I have to use the End Process to kill it.

So now you have lots and lots of information about my incredibly frustrating evening last night and hopefully you have some answers. I tried other things as well to try and fix it (including uninstalling and reinstalling Archicad with the 7007 updated)

For now, it looks like I can still get into Archicad to work, but it's a hack and it appears the BIMx won't be working for me until resolution.

Anyone have any ideas?
Johnathan Duncan
www.CastleGateDesign.com
Working in AC 26 5002 USA FULL.
Dell 5820 Tower X-Series
Intel Core i9-10940x CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.31 GHz
64.0 GB Installed RAM
NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 video card.
0 REPLIES 0