Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 26 trial - recover file after OS crash

John
Participant

Hello,

I've ben trialing Archicad 26 for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I had an issue with Windows 11 update and had to go through the full OS re-installation. I could save my personal files but had to reinstall all the softwares on this machine, including Archicad.

When trying to open the Archicad file I worked on, I get an error message "This trial version file can be opened only on the computer on which it was saved."

How can I recover this project?

Thanks in advance for your guidance,

John

7 REPLIES 7
Eduardo Rolon

I don't think it is possible..

Trial versions are tied to the machine and OS where they are installed and will not open on any other computer. When the trial runs out you can opt to buy AC and in that process AC will convert the trial files to full AC files.

Reinstalling the system cancelled the original file encryption and the file will not open on any other computer or AC version.

It might be possible for a reseller to open the file once you buy AC, but since the step of converting AC Trial to full cannot be done because of the reinstall then I wouldn't be surprised if the file is completely lost.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

John
Participant

Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for your answer. It would be sad to lose the work done so far in this trial version.

Has anyone else had this issue of reinstalling the OS and succeeded in solving the file import?

Thanks,

John

As Eduardo said, the trial version is compatible with only one machine configuration.

As you have re-installed your OS, that compatibility has changed.

The only possible option I know of is to see if your local support can help, but I am not sure if even they can get the file open.

If you haven't tried already, open a new file and merge the other file into it.

I doubt it will work, but worth a try.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your answer.

I had not tried the "merge" option, so it was worth a try. However, it didn't work.

I'll try to contact a local reseller.

Thanks,

John

Hi,

Can someone send me a small Archicad project done with a commercial licence ?

(anything will do: a wall, a cube, you name it).

Thanks,

John

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Let-s-get-started/Archicad-Sample-Projects/ta-p/304186

These are sample files in version 25, but they will open fine in 26.

I am not sure how another file will help you though.

You should have no trouble opening them

It is just a file saved in the trial version, can only be opened with that rial version or a full licensed version on that trial machine.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thank you Barry.